Lost Beginner

A forum for general discussion of the Python programming language.

Lost Beginner

Postby troypulk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:50 am

I'm trying to learn python scripting to compare two OSIS XML files the size of a book and out put to a third file with the corrected info from both files and formatted with the proper schema.

The problem is I have no idea what any of the syntax means or what they do, I'm thinking it would be easier just to spend 6 months doing it manually, but I would really like to try and learn scripting.

So I'm not sure where to begin, or how to start, I really need a teacher, I have been trying to find someone else's script to use to no avail.

I've tried reading through this Tutorial: http://docs.python.org/2/tutorial/index.html but it's like trying to understand Greek.

What else can I do to understand what I'm looking at? instead of begging someone to do it for me.

Thanks in advance

Troy
Last edited by metulburr on Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: moved topic to appropriate forum/ lock
troypulk

Re: Lost Beginner

Postby Kebap » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:08 am

Hi and welcome! Have you been programming before?

I have found Google's Python Class to be very informative and instructive while beginning my Python journey. Especially the videos. Gotta love Nick Parlante <3

https://developers.google.com/edu/python

The official tutorial, to this day, I find not especially approachable.

In general, you should try and get down some basic functionality, like comparing, listing, handling files, etc, before you put it all together and tackle your real goal. This will also help you with other scripts in the future.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Re: Lost Beginner

Postby troypulk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll look in to it.

About 6 years ago when I was working on my ATA in Electronics the class did 2 quarters of machine code for our final project, but in the time we had I didn't really learn much. But that was the only time I tried to learn any code before now.
troypulk

Return to General Discussions