required post count before posting images

required post count before posting images

Postby metulburr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:04 am

There should be a required post count (say 25 or 100) before users can post images. This would decrease people from posting images of their traceback and code, as opposed to copy pasting it into code tags here.

Not that if the option was available, that it would matter, due to MIA admin most of the time.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Re: required post count before posting images

Postby micseydel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:02 am

I believe stranac and I have admin privileges, although I think mine are somewhat limited. Not sure about stranac. I'm able to create and download forum backups, but I do not have ssh access. I looked around in the phpBB settings and couldn't find a way to do it, but I can look again if you think there's a way.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby Mekire » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:09 am

Is Taos actually interested in maintaining this site at all? If not why doesn't he just give full control to Stranac?
New Users, Read This
  • Use code tags when posting code.
  • Include any errors with your post (in code tags).
  • Describe your problem; not your chosen solution.
  • Make examples the minimum length to demonstrate your issue.
Mekire

Postby micseydel » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:43 am

Historically, his response has either been "I'm going to be good soon" or simply "".
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 am

I dont see anything on default phpbb for post count limiting. There are ways of restricting what images are posted. Such as the size being a 10px by 10px, they would post, and realize no one can read it, as well as the trouble of initially getting that size anyways, then copy and paste it and remove the image (hopefully). I mean how many times do we need to use images anyways? We could just default image back to links such as imgur.com

I know they have mods for post count limiting for restricting certain forums. There might be one for image posting. But then again we need shell access. It would be nice if the admin was a constant user of the forum. IT would be nice if Taos/jkbbwr forfeited his admin power to stranac or micseydel or both.

EDIT:
regarding another issue of new users deleting their posts. I see a "limit deleting time" option for new posts under General -> Post Settings. Which is currently set to 1440 minutes. 0 is disable, so 1 would give them 1 minute to delete their post, wouldnt it? That might fix our problem of homework helpers deleting their initial post after getting help.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby Mekire » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:35 pm

Honestly I also wonder sometimes if posting images is intentional.
It is very easy for a teacher to do a text search to see if their assignment has been posted somewhere.
Not so with text though.
New Users, Read This
  • Use code tags when posting code.
  • Include any errors with your post (in code tags).
  • Describe your problem; not your chosen solution.
  • Make examples the minimum length to demonstrate your issue.
Mekire

Postby Ofnuts » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:50 pm

I'm surprised that Google hasn't started to OCR the images already.

Maybe these people can be trolled by replacing their image with the equivalent text "as a service" (screen-to-OCR packages make that quick and easy).
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Return to Suggestions