Just a suggestion to an alternative to irc

Just a suggestion to an alternative to irc

Postby Estrobeda » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:03 pm

Hello, sorry if this is the wrong type of suggestion but theres a chatclient called Discordapp which has grown popular. I just wanted to bring this to your attention if you didnt know it.
The benefits of discord are to me huge but most importantly its 100% free and even though it was made for gamers im certain it workes just as well with communities like this.
you can even post code syntax in discord if you want help etc check it out for your selves.

Agai sorry if I broke any rule I missed, (quite alot of text)
Last edited by Yoriz on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: first post lock.
@Estrobeda
Estrobeda

Re: Just a suggestion to an alternative to irc

Postby Ofnuts » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:31 pm

IRC is an open standard(*), free, and has no strings attached.

(*) where is the Linux client?
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby Estrobeda » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:07 pm

Yeah I know, its just that discord has a huge bunch of benefits over irc and besides from that is quite alike. I just suggested it because its free an you kinda have to try it out to understand its potential. There are already some programming servers there but they are related to discord.
@Estrobeda
Estrobeda

Postby Ofnuts » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Estrobeda wrote:Its just that discord has a huge bunch of benefits over irc

Like what? Voice? Image? Who needs that to discuss programming?
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby Estrobeda » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:13 pm

Ofnuts wrote:
Estrobeda wrote:Its just that discord has a huge bunch of benefits over irc

Like what? Voice? Image? Who needs that to discuss programming?

I wont try to persuade you but the only way you would be able to know why is to try it. I could just change your question a bit, why would you not? the features are there you can choose weither or not you want to use it. It might not be for you but iy might be something for others and I personally like to be able to choose. IRC are older and more commonly accepted but thats not the point you cant for example "as far as I know" send text with syntax highlight in IRC but uou can in discord. It is not necissary but it gives it a better structure in my oppinion. If you have some spare time just give it a shot for a couple of minutes and see for yourself. If you dont like it then I can accept it no matter the reason but I just dont think you've even given it a chance.
@Estrobeda
Estrobeda

Postby micseydel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Estrobeda wrote:why would you not? [...] If you dont like it then I can accept it no matter the reason but I just dont think you've even given it a chance.

Maybe because the default on any action is to not take it? (This is overridden when there's a good reason to do it.) Or because many (most?) of us use Linux? Because the whole thing takes effort?

If it solves a specific problem, fantastic. Code snippets are a neat idea, for sure, but probably not worth the move. The channel is for off-topic chat, big questions should be done on the forum anyway. I appreciate your idea, but I don't see it happening.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby micseydel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:53 pm

Estrobeda via PM wrote:Sorty to bother but since I werent 100% sure what you ment I thought a pm would be better.
Discord is written in javascript and as far as im concerned it is supported on linux at least the web version. You do not have to download it and the registration is almost as fast as in irc. Email, password done no need to varify the email right now and then. Cant really see how its easier with irc. Dont get me wrong i like irc but discord is like irc++. Its 100% free and discord provides the servers free of charge. If you tried it and somehow it didnt work or lacked something then I get it.

My mistake that it is client-only, I didn't realize it has a web version.

I didn't say IRC is easier. I said it's easier to not do something than do something. I understand that Discord has more features than IRC. I'm not denying that. I'm saying those features aren't important for off-topic chat for this forum. There's no good reason to deal with the overhead of such a change, albeit a small one.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby Estrobeda » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:40 pm

Ah ok I can accept that yes =D
Thx for at least taking a look at it, appreciated
@Estrobeda
Estrobeda

Return to Suggestions