New thread(s) proposal

New thread(s) proposal

Postby Larz60+ » Tue May 03, 2016 7:26 pm

Hello,

An area of programming that is often neglected, is the programmers tool chest.
There is never a lack of IDE's and editors, but simple tools are often built over and
over again because they can be found.

I propose two new threads:

o Programmers Toolchest - Where functional tools are kept
    o Request for programmer tools - Requests can be made, and links
    to the tool added when someone takes on and completes the task.

I for one love to write tools. I discovered this early on when I worked on diagnostics.
I'd most likely take on one project after another.

The one caveat that I can think of would be keeping the requests to just programming tools.

Any thoughts?

Larz60+
Larz60+

Re: New thread(s) proposal

Postby Ofnuts » Tue May 03, 2016 8:55 pm

But all programmers love to write programming tools.... this is the only case where they are also the customer. Simple programming tools are rewritten over and over because programmers know exactly what they want and are in a position to write them.
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby Larz60+ » Wed May 04, 2016 7:18 pm

Hello,

Ok, so that doesn't sound like an objection. I think this could highlight some interesting code.

Larz60+
Larz60+

Postby micseydel » Wed May 04, 2016 7:47 pm

I work at a big company where this is an issue as well. It seems that some big tools end up being shared, but due to volume, smaller tools just don't have a good way of being discovered, especially relative to the effort involved in publishing them. I believe you want a different subforum, as you're welcome to create threads yourself. We could make it sticky if there was an appearance of real benefit, but you can run the experiment yourself.

As far as a "request" thread, I for one think making that sticky/a subforum would be a bad idea. Just begs for "do it for me" posts.

I'm also curious what kind of tools examples you're referring to.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby Larz60+ » Wed May 04, 2016 10:03 pm

Hello,

I think you're sadly correct on not having a request thread.

I'm also curious what kind of tools examples you're referring to.

I am currently working on a small GUI project that shows available classes, attributes. methods and functions for
each of the tkinter widgets. I am doing it for myself first of all, because I'm constantly looking for a reference,
and I wanted something that I could click on and immediately to get the answers. When I bring up the available Python
docs on tkinter, I feel that it sort of just brushes the surface. I usually refer to the pdf available from John Shipman at New
Mexico Tech.

I could put them on GitHub, and have one out there now, but the forum seems like a good place as well.

Other things I can think of might be a library of thoroughly documented algorithms, including Statistical . with examples,
inter-language (as in C->Python Or Python->C) development. Wrappers around existing docs like Qt5.
Interactive tutorials on obscure subjects like barcoding, and more.

My mind is not as good at coming up with ideas as it use to be (I'm 70), so that was the initial intent of the suggestion
thread. But I think the requests will come automatically, and agree that it could be a pain.

Larz60+
Larz60+

Postby kingtermite » Thu May 05, 2016 3:44 pm

I like the idea, but I think "Python Cookbook" would be a more universal name. These functional bits of code are really just "cookbook" or "recipe" type things, right?
kingtermite

Postby Larz60+ » Thu May 05, 2016 8:03 pm

There's already a well known book by David Beazley & Brian Jones with that name!
Programmers Toolchest is quite good
Larz60+

Postby kingtermite » Thu May 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Larz60+ wrote:There's already a well known book by David Beazley & Brian Jones with that name!
Programmers Toolchest is quite good

Yes, i Know (and every other language as a book by the same name with programming language in front). That's exactly why I think it would be a better name. It's recognizable. Everybody knows about the "cookbook" term and what it means. Just my opinion.
kingtermite

Postby Larz60+ » Fri May 06, 2016 10:39 pm

Hello,

Not about a name, about content.
Suggest you be the first contributor.

Larz60+
Larz60+

Postby kingtermite » Sat May 07, 2016 8:30 pm

Larz60+ wrote:Hello,

Not about a name, about content.
Suggest you be the first contributor.

Larz60+

I may be new here, but I've been on various forums for probably 20 years. I've seen great ideas like this fail just because of a name of description being slightly ambiguous and people tend to ignore.

So, again, I think it's a great idea, but the name could help make it more successful. And I'd be HAPPY to contribute....a forum like that is the BIGGEST reason I go to forums like this.
kingtermite

Postby metulburr » Sat May 07, 2016 9:45 pm

I forsee a lot of newbie system admin programs popping up on such a forum. Where new programmers first encounter the ability to move/copy/create files, etc. Basically splitting up the completed scripts.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby Larz60+ » Sat May 07, 2016 10:20 pm

Hello,

Metulburr - I think you're correct. After just under 50 years of programming, I've come to the conclusion that the 'Paris peace talks' are best avoided.

I will make this my last post on the subject.

I am reminded of the day's when we used Archie and Gopher, there were few that even knew what internet was, and our link was a
microwave dish pointed at a building on the MIT campus. That worked great right through the 80's. In 1990, the web was born, and shortly after
in 1994, Netscape came along and the negotiations over naming of tools started. That was all good, and resulted in what's available today,
But, alas I'm not the whippersnapper that I was in those days, and don't have the patience to bother anymore.

If it's started, that's OK, if not that's OK as well.

Larz60+
Larz60+

Return to Suggestions