Forum Status

Forum Status

Postby snippsat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:57 pm

How is the status for this forum now.
Has someone contact with jkbbwr/Taos,
if he choose to not pay for server time will forum go down?

I was rounding 1000 post on the old forum,
then as we know the broken history old forum all post was gone.
A long period with trying to make a new forum,which was a very unsuccessful process.

Anyone thinking of plans for future,
like getting control of forum making it more modern,
try to paying out jkbbwr/Taos.
We will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
snippsat

Re: Forum Status

Postby stranac » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:41 pm

Basically, Jakob is the only person with access to the server.
He gave me access once for a few days to fix some problems, but then he switched hosting, so that didn't last.

After that, he hasn't really been answering any inquiries about the forum.
Sometimes he replies to my questions (mostly on ##programming on freenode), but I've come to realize most of it is just random bullshit.

As for taking over the forum and improving it, I have considered it in the past, but honestly I have neither the money nor the time something like that would require.
Also, Jakob didn't seem at all interested the last time he was asked about that (I don't remember who did the asking).
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby ichabod801 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:52 pm

I gave Jakob a significant chunk of change when things switched over, so I feel a little bit owed. I don't know how much cash this site is sucking down on a regular basis, but I'd be willing to put forth some regular money toward maintaining it. I wouldn't have the time (or the expertise) for modernizing it, at least for another year or two, but I would be available to community members who did have that time. And I would commit to turning it over to the community if I no longer had time to be available.

Why is Jakob so attached to the domain? It's not like he's active here at all.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
ichabod801

Postby stranac » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:02 pm

ichabod801 wrote:Why is Jakob so attached to the domain? It's not like he's active here at all.

Don't really know, he was also refusing help back when we wanted to code the forum in python.
Maybe owning a python forum looks good on a resume?

I don't think anyone talked to him about this recently, so maybe he'd be willing to reconsider.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby snippsat » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Maybe owning a python forum looks good on a resume?

Not sure why he want to own and pay for server time for a forum he obviously doesn't care about.
I don't think anyone talked to him about this recently, so maybe he'd be willing to reconsider.

As long as he stay hidden not much we can do.
If you manage some day to contact him,ask if he can clarify his indention.
Maybe Jakob will run this forum for years to come,or maybe it suddenly goes down who knows :?:
It's of course impossible to suggest improvement to the forum as it is now.

The modernizing of forum i second hand,
getting a owner structure that is little more future proof has to be the first step.
Hard to say if people are willing to pay something to run this forum,
i could for sure pay something for a better driven forum that we have some or all control over.
Then thinking of making forum better and modernizing it.
snippsat

Postby metulburr » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:49 pm

Every time i have talked with him it was via IRC.
Freenode.net #python-forum

However i have seen him more off than on lately.

I have asked him before about someone taking over the forum since he pretty much abandoned it and yet pays for it. He basically ignores me. From what he said, the server is on a free hosting site (from his friend i think). So he is not paying anything but the domain upkeep. I constantly having been asking him about changing the phpbb logo to python for 2 or maybe even 3 years and he ignores me every time. Ive wanted to add some plugins, but he ignored those as well.

I also know he set up a cron job for MySQL errors to reset every 5 minutes. Because at one point we had so many. In a way thats good, but at the same time it shows he can now be even more excluded from the site.

If anyone has the right to the domain name i think ichabod801 is it. He payed 80% the domain cost and handed it over to jakob. And that was a lot of money.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:07 pm

Does anyone have an email for him? I'd be willing to contact him and push for transfer of the domain name using the weight of my original donation, but I don't hang out on IRC. Assuming I can manage the cost. Do we know how much traffic/data this site takes up? I host my own site, but it's small with no traffic, so I'm not sure how much more expensive this place would be to host.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
ichabod801

Postby micseydel » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:36 am

His email is jkbbwr @ Google's public mail service (avoiding making that scrapeable). He's also on FB and Twitter with the same name (as well as StackOverflow! And has a top 2% badge there).

Unless things for me change very negatively and drastically, cost isn't a problem at all. There's no way this site is costly to maintain.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

micseydel

Postby snippsat » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:06 am

Assuming I can manage the cost. Do we know how much traffic/data this site takes up?

I think the cost should not be high,it would be lot better if you took over as owner of this site(as you payed 80% of domain cost last time).
Then we could take about how this site should be run in the future,
i would for sure help with money in this case.

It can be smart to have some more people that care about this site to have some ownership,
so if one person go missing the site would still excite in the future.
snippsat

Postby Ofnuts » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 am

Must be a common occurence because we have the very same problem on GImpForums: There are 3 mods plus myself as the admin (for MyBB, but I have no no access to the underlying system), but the actual owner doesn't answer mail and won't fix some broken stuff (I became admin because the spamming was getting out of hand and the owner thought I was the person with enough incentive and knowledge to remedy it). Sometimes we daydream about leaving en masse and founding another forum.

Another well-established Gimp-related forum (GimpTalk) went catatonic after two very long outages due to owner carelessness and is now mostly dead.
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby ichabod801 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:22 pm

Okay, I have written a draft email to Jakob. I'm going to sleep on it, and send it out tomorow.
ichabod801

Postby ichabod801 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:35 pm

Sent the email out Sunday. Have not gotten a response back.
ichabod801

Postby metulburr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:39 am

It wouldnt surprise me if you never did.
more details here
metulburr

Postby stranac » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:06 am

Yeah, I sent him an email once. Didn't get a reply.
Pretty much the only way I could ever get a response form him was being annoying in ##programming.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby erlend_sh » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:55 am

Hi guys. I sort of randomly ran into this forum and particular topic whilst doing some forum research. I work for Discourse, and I'm in charge of this program:

http://blog.discourse.org/2016/03/free- ... -projects/

We'd be happy to provide free Discourse hosting for python-forum.org. I could even forego our usual discourse.* sub-domain requirement, seeing as you're already established on a top-level domain.

You'd have to sort out the phpBB migration and redirects on your own though, as we don't have the bandwidth to assist with that. Alternatively I could get you in touch with a freelancer from our community.

If the current maintainer(s) of this forum would be interested in this, I can be contacted through "erlend" at my company's domain name.
erlend_sh

Postby micseydel » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:42 pm

@erlend_sh: we don't have the administrative capability to change where the domain points. The community has discussed moving before, but the sticking point has been the domain. It wouldn't be difficult to get python-forum.io or something, and even migrate the content, but the problem is just the fear that moving would not succeed because of existing moment on this domain name.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

micseydel

Postby Mekire » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:31 pm

but the problem is just the fear that moving would not succeed because of existing moment on this domain name.

I agree this is a problem, but realistically if all mods (and regular posters) stop posting here, potential users would be forced to go somewhere else.

Also as it seems this forum wouldn't vanish anyway, we could easily post a sticky telling people what is happening and lock the rest of the forum down.
New Users, Read This
  • Use code tags when posting code.
  • Include any errors with your post (in code tags).
  • Describe your problem; not your chosen solution.
  • Make examples the minimum length to demonstrate your issue.
Mekire

Postby Ofnuts » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Mekire wrote:
but the problem is just the fear that moving would not succeed because of existing moment on this domain name.

I agree this is a problem, but realistically if all mods (and regular posters) stop posting here, potential users would be forced to go somewhere else.

Also as it seems this forum wouldn't vanish anyway, we could easily post a sticky telling people what is happening and lock the rest of the forum down.

Writing a selenium-based script to replace all threads by a pointer to the new forum would be a SMOP :)
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby ichabod801 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:19 pm

Mekire wrote:we could easily post a sticky telling people what is happening and lock the rest of the forum down.

Yes, because everyone who comes to this forum reads the stick posts. :?
ichabod801

Postby metulburr » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 pm

Mekire wrote:we could easily post a sticky telling people what is happening and lock the rest of the forum down.

Yes, because everyone who comes to this forum reads the stick posts. :?

If we have access to forum creation we can make a new sub-forum basically as the name "go to this site instead". And maybe change the names of the other to append the word "locked"

Tao/jkbwr basically screwed this forum over by abandoning it. I think we would have to take drastic measures to switch the forum over or to regain control. Once he got wind of it though, he would probably remove us as mods and restate the forums back. We would have no chance then. But that could be a long time.

but realistically if all mods (and regular posters) stop posting here, potential users would be forced to go somewhere else.

I agree with this. If we mutually agree to stop giving advice here there will be no one here except newbies. As long as the newbies know the mods/educated are located at a different site I think they would just migrate there. Especially if all the forums are locked. It would seem they would have no choice.
more details here
metulburr

Next

Return to Suggestions