Forum Status

Re: Forum Status

Postby metulburr » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:10 pm

If you wait for a specific number, you may wait forever. I would give it to the 12th. That would give people a full week and a weekend, not counting the holiday.

That sounds good to me.

We could have both, with redirection. Not that the redirection is working yet for me. But the change didn't take the first time at webfaction. I redid it yesterday, but it may need more time for propogation.

I guess we could see what happens by the 12th. Maybe one might outweigh the other then. Or redirect one to the other, or even have both domains point to the same IP. Im not too keen on the idea of having numerous domains though.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby nilamo » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:22 pm

ichabod801 wrote:
micseydel wrote:ichabod801, I really appreciate the effort since I thought that path would be ideal.

No problem. As it turns out, the hosting company for my personal website is jacking up their prices on the next renewal. This made me look at options, and I'm probably going to switch my personal site to webfaction.

fwiw, I've been with webfaction for over 4 years. They've changed their prices once or twice in that time frame, but my price has never changed. It appears you stay 'grandfathered' in with whatever you originally signed up with... which is excellent. And yes, you should definitely be able to have multiple domains pointing to the same website (and since we already have the domains, we may as well do that). With webfaction, you don't even need to set it up as a redirect, you can just have both domains point to the same place, so to anyone looking, both domains would look like the "real" domain.
This forum is shutting down. Future discussion should take place at http://python-forum.io
nilamo

Postby micseydel » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:31 pm

nilamo wrote:With webfaction, you don't even need to set it up as a redirect, you can just have both domains point to the same place, so to anyone looking, both domains would look like the "real" domain.

Though I love that Webfaction makes this easy, we need to be careful with this since search engines will discount "duplicate" stuff. There are ways to have a "canonical" domain, but it's probably better to simply stick to one and redirect to maintain consistency.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby pydsigner » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:06 am

DO and WebFaction have an advantage of being easily scaled, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend SpeedyKVM either. You have to switch instances manually to scale up, but you can get a lot more horsepower to start with, and I've had maybe 3 hours of downtime in over a year with them.
Laptop: Manjaro Linux, 32GB RAM, 512GB SSD, i7-6820HQ
Python: 2.7.12

For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved! (John 3:17)
pydsigner

Postby metulburr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:22 pm

I dont want this discussion to die out like the others previously. I know i said i didnt like the time limit idea, but i also dont want this discussion to fizzle out and nothing happen from it. The poll votes are slowing down. The discussions are spreading out further and further. At what point are we declaring a winner?

I assume from previous discussions the process was
1) declare winner, assign a chosen domain name and forum software
2) set a thread of notice for a couple weeks to inform users of the change.
3) move forum by locking forums
more details here
metulburr

Postby sparkz_alot » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:59 pm

Thought we were giving till the 12th (tomorrow)
THIS FORUM WILL BE CLOSING OCT 1, 2016. PLEASE STOP BY AND REGISTER AT THE NEW LOCATION
http://python-forum.io
sparkz_alot

Postby buran » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:01 pm

metulburr wrote:I dont want this discussion to die out like the others previously. I know i said i didnt like the time limit idea, but i also dont want this discussion to fizzle out and nothing happen from it. The poll votes are slowing down. The discussions are spreading out further and further. At what point are we declaring a winner?

I assume from previous discussions the process was
1) declare winner, assign a chosen domain name and forum software
2) set a thread of notice for a couple weeks to inform users of the change.
3) move forum by locking forums

I think there are no new votes in the last 2-3 days... Anyway few more days are OK. I would suggest to close polls on 15th - end of the day and declare winners. Set a thread and once the new forum is up and running - for all new threads, just ask OP to post the question on the new forum. Close this one as of 1st of October.
However it's up to the mods to take the decision and lead the rest (so to say :-))
We are moving to http://www.python-forum.io as of 1 October. Did you register there?
buran

Postby metulburr » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:15 pm

Thought we were giving till the 12th (tomorrow)

oh yeah :oops:

I was searching too far back in this thread. Its become a huge enormous thread. Im gonna update that in the summary hehe
more details here
metulburr

Postby snippsat » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:17 pm

I dont want this discussion to die out like the others previously.

Yes agree ;)
No problem(even if i do not like PHP) to use MyBB(metulburr) or phpBB(ichabod801) forum as the new main forum.

I will just close my forum for open registration and point to the new main forum in User info.
pyforum.io will stay open(i will write code and stuff there),
no problem for me if it's a very small forum for some people or just me ;)
We will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
snippsat

Postby ichabod801 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:59 pm

While I did say I wanted run off polls, I don't see that they are going to do any good in this situation. For domain name, we only have one vote for the choice that would be eliminated for the run off, and in the software poll we have a tie for second so there's no way to choose which would be eliminated. I'm fine with going with the plurality winner in each poll as of tomorrow night (the 12th).
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
ichabod801

Postby nilamo » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:19 pm

ichabod801 wrote:While I did say I wanted run off polls, I don't see that they are going to do any good in this situation. For domain name, we only have one vote for the choice that would be eliminated for the run off, and in the software poll we have a tie for second so there's no way to choose which would be eliminated. I'm fine with going with the plurality winner in each poll as of tomorrow night (the 12th).

I don't know about others, but I almost exclusively visit this forum while at work. If others are the same, then that could explain few (if any) votes over the weekend. Perhaps we should have stickies added to each sub-forum explaining that a switch is imminent, with a link to the poll (since I doubt everyone actually checks the Suggestions forum).
This forum is shutting down. Future discussion should take place at http://python-forum.io
nilamo

Postby metulburr » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:22 pm

Perhaps we should have stickies added to each sub-forum explaining that a switch is imminent, with a link to the poll (since I doubt everyone actually checks the Suggestions forum).

The summary is a global sticky.
more details here
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:24 pm

It looks to me like the polls are saying we use MyBB on python-forum.io with python-forum.net redirecting there. I'm thinking metulburr and I should get that up and running, then we post a sticky about it for a week and encourage people to move, and then we shut down this place.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
ichabod801

Postby sparkz_alot » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:59 pm

ichabod801 wrote:It looks to me like the polls are saying we use MyBB on python-forum.io with python-forum.net redirecting there. I'm thinking metulburr and I should get that up and running, then we post a sticky about it for a week and encourage people to move, and then we shut down this place.

Sounds like a plan. You have my vote :D

Btw, a big thanks to Ichabod, metulburr and snippsat for the work they've done
THIS FORUM WILL BE CLOSING OCT 1, 2016. PLEASE STOP BY AND REGISTER AT THE NEW LOCATION
http://python-forum.io
sparkz_alot

Postby metulburr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:17 pm

It looks to me like the polls are saying we use MyBB on python-forum.io with python-forum.net redirecting there.

the IP for the server is at
198.199.80.192:80

Unless you wanted to buy a server and setup anew?
more details here
metulburr

Postby snippsat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:33 pm

It looks to me like the polls are saying we use MyBB on python-forum.io with python-forum.net redirecting there.

Yes agree,sound like a good plan ;)
We will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
snippsat

Postby Kebap » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:29 pm

metulburr wrote:the IP for the server is at
198.199.80.192:80
Unless you wanted to buy a server and setup anew?

http://198.199.80.192 shows a different result to me than http://metulburr.com/

In fact, I see a link to a forum but this seems to resemble http://python-gaming.com/forums/

edit: Deleted line

ichabod801 wrote:get that up and running, then we post a sticky about it for a week and encourage people to move, and then we shut down this place.

I would prefer a longer transition time, as not everybody visits here every day or every week. Maybe we can also have more intermediate steps, but I would welcome at least 4 weeks notice. Let's see how quickly the configuration is done as well.
Last edited by Kebap on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Due to the reasons discussed here we are moving to python-forum.net on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be closed. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.

IRC://irc.freenode.net/python-forum
Kebap

Postby nilamo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:43 pm

I think a quick move is fine. There'll be a sticky on each forum letting people know what's up, and everything will be locked, forcing them to move. Most people show up for only one or two posts, anyway, so waiting a long time won't help that anyway.
nilamo

Postby metulburr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 2:48 pm

http://198.199.80.192 shows a different result to me than http://metulburr.com/

Both sites are on the same server. The domain would have to first be pointed to the ip address by the domain owner...then on the server-side point that domain to the specific sub-directory that metulburr.com is pointing at. And that is just an apache configuration.

I have a virtual host config file setup for python-forum.io and python-forum.net. It should work as soon as the domain is pointing to the IP, but apache might need a restart afterwords. But I would have to wait for ichabod801
response since he is the owner of the domains
more details here
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:13 pm

sparkz_alot wrote:Btw, a big thanks to Ichabod, metulburr and snippsat for the work they've done

Yes, big thanks to metulburr and snippsat!!

metulburr wrote:Unless you wanted to buy a server and setup anew?

What I want is for multiple people to have access to everything: the forum software, the server, and the domain. That way, if you and I disappear, snippsat or whoever is left can still have full control of forums. If you're comfortable with giving other people access to that server, I'm fine with pointing there. But that looks to be your personal server. If you don't want to give access to your personal server, I'm willing to set up another account at webfaction or wherever that can be a community account, and I'm willing to pay for the first year of hosting. My plan with the domain is to see if I can shift them into another name cheap account, and then give access to that account to a couple of the other mods.

Kebap wrote:I would prefer a longer transition time, as not everybody visits here every day or every week.

We don't need to catch everyone during the transition time, we just need to wind down the current posts. When we lock down the forum, we will lock it down in a way that makes it as clear as possible that the forums have moved. Then anyone who comes irregularly will still be able to find us. And presumably all the threads will still be here until taos realizes what's up and closes down the server.
ichabod801

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions