Forum Status

Re: Forum Status

Postby micseydel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:25 pm

I thought this was established, and maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I think anything non-cloud is a terrible idea. No one here should be responsible for a physical server. I don't know about you all, but I have power outages and even internet outages occasionally (even though my household has "business" internet :cry: ) and there's no reason for anything less than 99% uptime for this forum.

Before locking things down here, I think all the active regulars and mods should have accounts set up on where we're going. I don't plan to register at metulburr.com, or anything that isn't exactly what we're all migrating to - I think domain and software should be finalized before anyone starts moving.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:39 pm

If you're comfortable with giving other people access to that server,

I was going to create users on the server with root access for each mod. I dont have a problem with it at all.

No one here should be responsible for a physical server. I don't know about you all, but I have power outages and even internet outages occasionally (even though my household has "business" internet :cry: ) and there's no reason for anything less than 99% uptime for this forum.

This is a droplet under Digital Ocean.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:44 pm

I'm having a really hard time keeping up with everything. I thought ichabod801 had the domains and working phpBB on Webfaction, so was all set up. Can we document what decisions were made, and why, in the summary post? And ditch anything that's no longer relevant?
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby snippsat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:26 pm

And ditch anything that's no longer relevant?

The polls.
This is not difficult,we figure stuff out at new palace.
We can't keep on discuss as we have done,someone has to make stuff happens.
Now we have forum with a lot post that we have build up,
and now one here has access to server or database.

I have spend enough time and some money on this process,
5 forum software tested and paid for domain name and server at DO.
Sure i like more a modern forum software,
but i have problem that the main forum should now be MyBB,
which metulburr has spent some time on.
We will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
snippsat

Postby metulburr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:32 pm

ichabod801 wrote:If you're comfortable with giving other people access to that server, I'm fine with pointing there.

server login info for each admin is at
http://metulburr.com/showthread.php?tid=38

(you can only see if it your an admin on that forum)
more details here
metulburr

Postby nilamo » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:37 pm

metulburr wrote:server login info for each admin is at
http://metulburr.com...

Why are we still using that domain? Is that the actual install, and the domain will just point to it? Or is that still an example of the software?
This forum is shutting down. Future discussion should take place at http://python-forum.io
nilamo

Postby metulburr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:41 pm

That is just a temp domain. The real domain hasnt even been pointed to the server yet.
more details here
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:46 pm

metulburr wrote:the IP for the server is at
198.199.80.192:80

Namecheap wants at least two nameservers, not an IP address. For example, when it was pointing at my site it was ns1.webfaction.com and ns2.webfaction.com. Can you get those for Digital Ocean?
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
ichabod801

Postby snippsat » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:55 pm

ichabod801 wrote:
metulburr wrote:the IP for the server is at
198.199.80.192:80

Namecheap wants at least two nameservers, not an IP address. For example, when it was pointing at my site it was ns1.webfaction.com and ns2.webfaction.com. Can you get those for Digital Ocean?

At Namecheap you point 3 nameserver to DO.
Code: Select all
ns1.digitalocean.com
ns2
.digitalocean.com
ns3
.digitalocean.com
snippsat

Postby ichabod801 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:27 pm

Okay, python-forum.io is pointed to the nameservers snippsat provided, and python-forum.net is redirected to python-forum.io on namecheap.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
ichabod801

Postby metulburr » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:58 pm

Ive never used ns1.digitalocean.com. Ive always pointed my domains straight to an IP.
more details here
metulburr

Postby ichabod801 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:00 pm

metulburr wrote:Ive never used ns1.digitalocean.com. Ive always pointed my domains straight to an IP.

Okay, I figured out how to point the domain at an IP address and did so.
ichabod801

Postby ichabod801 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:30 am

Update: It's resolving, but seems to be resolving to python-gaming.com. You're hosting that on the same server, right metulburr?
ichabod801

Postby metulburr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:34 am

yeah i had to fix the virtual hosts to redirect it to the correct site.

EDIT:
I have to modify the forums to the domain name change to even be able to login under the new domain. For some reason you are not able to login under the new domain. Thats after switching cookies, urls, etc. And in the process of that...that in turn apparently messes up the CSS from loading properly. Im actually just going to leave it like that to have the MyBB staff look at it with another pair of eyes and help find what i might be missing with the domain switch.

If i cant figure this out...at worst case scenario, i could just reinstall a fresh forum to the correct domain and path. Its not like that would ever change again. Not that i really want to do that all over again.

But let me poke at it for awhile though. If i cant figure it out in a day or so, it wouldnt take long to re-setup a fresh forum ( a couple hours)
more details here
metulburr

Postby snippsat » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:22 pm

If i cant figure it out in a day or so, it wouldnt take long to re-setup a fresh forum ( a couple hours)

Hmm should take minutes,do you not use or have Snapshots backup(important part of Droplet) of forum?
Don't know how you do redirect guess Apache,i logged in and couldn't find that Nginx(prefer this) was running.
Here some info.
But let me poke at it for awhile though.

Sure poke around you figure it out ;)
snippsat

Postby Kebap » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:09 pm

sparkz_alot wrote:Thanks metulburr for the summary and snippsat for at least moving forward.
It seems to me that the mods and admins need to get organized, you need to (via PM, email or whatever means suits you):

1) pick someone amongst you to act as coordinator- 1 week
2) decide on TLD and reserve it- 1 week
3) decide on software- 1 week
4) decide on host- 1 week
5) install and shakedown site- 1 week
6) install stickys all over this site directing people to new site- ongoing

Looking back at the planning board.. We have now completed steps 2-4 while not following step 1.

Now I would assume to have a fresh installation with all the decided parameters (domain, software, host,.) which we can then test thoroughly befor announcing the official switch

The forums so far have merely had test character and need not continue existing, unless somebody wants theirs to.
Last edited by Kebap on Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Due to the reasons discussed here we are moving to python-forum.net on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be closed. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.

IRC://irc.freenode.net/python-forum
Kebap

Postby metulburr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:18 pm

Yeah it should take minutes...

I have snapshots, but the problem I believe is somewhere is MyBB. I believe somewhere its pointing back to metulburr.com still even though all the settings show they are not. Apache is configured correctly. Retrieving a snapshot will only carry over the same problem and/or revert too far back.

I didnt just redirect metulburr.com -> python-forum.io, i did it the proper way in apache of creating a virtual host file for python-forum.io and redirecting that back to metulburr.com's root directory.

I think i am going to redirect python-froum.io within apache to a different directory (fresh install) of mybb and see if there is any problem with that. If not i might just re-setup there....since we wouldnt be changing the domain/directory ever again.

EDIT:
MyBB staff says namecheap is not directly pointed at the IP address due to the html frame from the page source
Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv='content-type' content='text/html; charset=UTF-8'>
<meta name="VERSION" content="">
<meta name="DATA" content="fwdnode7-bl.web-hosting.com (162.255.119.4)">
<link href=" " rel="shortcut icon" type="image/x-icon">
<title></title>
</head>
<frameset rows='100%, *' frameborder=no framespacing=0 border=0>
<frame src="http://198.199.80.192:80" name=mainwindow frameborder=no framespacing=0 marginheight=0 marginwidth=0></frame>
</frameset>
<noframes><h2>Your browser does not support frames. We recommend upgrading your browser.</h2><br><br>
<center>Click <a href="http://198.199.80.192:80" >here</a> to enter the site.</center>
</noframes>
</html>

@ichabod801
What was that crazy password for namecheap?

I think i am going to redirect python-froum.io within apache to a different directory (fresh install) of mybb and see if there is any problem with that. If not i might just re-setup there....since we wouldnt be changing the domain/directory ever again.

Yeah that did not work. Same problem.
more details here
metulburr

Postby metulburr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:09 pm

So i reverted to a snapshot earlier. The problem now lies on the fact that you can login to metulburr.com...but cant when going through python-forum.io
If in ACP -> Config -> site details change all URLs/cookies/etc. back from metulburr.com -> pythonf-roum.io, you lose the stylesheets for some reason.

Note: This might of reverted some of your server passwords to default if it you changed the password after the snapshot
more details here
metulburr

Postby wavic » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:39 pm

OoooK.....
Is there a way to use a markdown in addition to the default bb-code?
wavic

Postby metulburr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:37 pm

At this point i am more worried about getting it stable, than plugins.
more details here
metulburr

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions