Collaboration section?

Collaboration section?

Postby hansn » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm

I've seen some talk about 'programming groups' that was started on the last forum and then just died out.

Now I don't know if someone took the initiative to start those groups again, but I'm guessing no one did (yet).
I don't even know if the python-forum community contains enough personel to divide itself into groups.

So I thought it could work with a 'collaboration section' in the forums in stead, where people can share ideas, talk about how to execute them, ask for collaboration on some part of their project, or ask for full collaberation on a project or idea they got in mind.

This way you can join a project of your choosing or ask for someone to join you in making your idea into a working program. Even if it's just for fun, for learning, or if you want to look for a partner(s) in making a selling product.

If it works, it works. If not you can always shut it down. Without the hassle of creating a system with programming groups of different experience levels and deciding what projects to focus on and what decisions to make.

Just my 2cents.
hansn

Re: Collaboration section?

Postby thankyouterror » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi!! I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd see if I'd get a response anyway! I'm really interested in collaborating on Python projects. I'm just a beginner, taking a computer science class right now, but it's really fun and I think writing code/writing with others is of much more benefit than being in lecture. I'd be interested in writing projects together or even each writing a program of the same type and then talking about it. :)
Kieran
thankyouterror

Postby micseydel » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:22 am

Hey hansn, sorry about not getting back to you about this sooner. I believe in the past people have collaborated but the projects died, as they are apt to do if enough time passes and there aren't enough people on the project (a few people at a time get too busy, and come back to find the project isn't as active anymore and don't really revive it). Also, I know there are some people who have worked on (a) game(s) which is always a popular idea but people like me don't care as much for stuff like that.

If you're really very interested in collaborating on something, my best suggestion is to create a Bitbucket/Github project, populate it a bit, then post here with a pitch about why people who work with you on it. You probably won't get anyone, just because if they have the time they'll have already devoted it to something else, but you never know if someone new will come along, see it, and want to join in. You just have to have a lot of individual determination and not get let down when you do a lot of it yourself.

thankyouterror, pretty much the same advice to you, get something started, make a post, and cross your fingers. I don't think there's enough to this that a subforum is worth it, if anything, it might just make it easier to ignore (I ignore entirely the GUI and Games sections on this forum). Anyway, welcome to the forum!
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Kebap » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:11 pm

We can have a subforum for that, as soon as there are enough threads about that. I don't think it makes much sense to create new empty subforums to stay empty for the time being, just to have them there. As for collaborating, I like it, please do get some started. :mrgreen:
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Return to Suggestions