"Homework" section proposal

"Homework" section proposal

Postby micseydel » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:54 am

Students asking for homework help is different from general questions because (1) there is often an assignment which is very clear, and if they post it removes a great deal of ambiguity and (2) differentiates immediately that we can't throw at them the full power of Python. Sometimes there are features they're just not allowed to use for their assignment.

I propose a separate section for this and with it a "read this first" which has details related only to students, including that they should make their assignment available, say what they can/can't use, and that if they cheat they will be reported to their school.

I believe such a proposal has been made in the past, and I might have been against it, but at this point I think I may have provided a compelling case for it. Thoughts?
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Re: "Homework" section proposal

Postby metulburr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:12 am

i agree. There are enough homework specific questions that warrants its own forum and "read this first" sticky for them.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby ochichinyezaboombwa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:21 am

I think this would be valuable iff it worked as designed. My doubts / counter-points:

• X% of students (I bet it's close to 60-70) will still post not in this forum but anywhere they are pleased;
  • IMO nobody (meaning only 1%) ever reads the "read this first" sticky;
  • the presence of a warning "we'll report you" will make some to leave and find some other place to cheat. Less fun for us.
ochichinyezaboombwa

Postby Mekire » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 am

I too have my doubts that this would work as intended. If it did, it would of course, be great. But yeah; most people scan down to the first forum with a large number of posts; click; and post without considering much.

keM-
Mekire

Postby Yoriz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:19 pm

The majority of homework questions are from brand new users.
I doubt many would put their post in the correct place but as moderators have to approve first posts, the post would be moved to the appropriate part of the forum and they would be asked to read the 'new user read this' link.

I think rather than having another link just add more information to the current one so when someone does not ask for homework help in their first post they will likely to have been pointed to the new user link and hopefully read it.

So my thoughts are:
new section - Yes if you want moderators to segregate homework posts.
homeworkers read this first – No just add to the existing one.
New Users, Read This
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby micseydel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:21 am

RE: people will still post in the wrong place -- at least we'll have a nice easy place for people to find their peers' homework, and some people will post in the right place.
RE: no one read's "read this first" -- separating out and consolidating what is unique to students would make the "read this first" shorter for others. Even if they don't read it first, it seems that a decent amount of the time they read it after being told to. I just think it would be nicer, since it goes along with the same premise as having the "read this first" at all.
RE: cheaters -- fun for us perhaps (I'm getting good at tracking people down) but I'd rather people love us and want to join our community rather than walk away wounded.

What do the moderators think? Do you not want to have to have to move homework to a separate section? And I'm still happy to hear from everyone of course, this is everyone's forum, not just the moderators :)

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby Mekire » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:42 pm

I don't particularly see the need, but it won't bother me either. I do think perhaps the "challenges" and "euler" sections could probably be culled though.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby micseydel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:50 pm

I can appreciate wanting to get rid of the euler section, since it sees barely any activity, but I think historically this forum has seen more activity there. I'm not enthusiastic about getting rid of it but would be alright with it if people want.

I totally agree about the challenges section, since it seems that people post there when they find their problems challenging to themselves rather than as it was intended. Plus we don't really post challenges.

micseydel

Postby metulburr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:23 pm

I would say get rid of euler and challenges. If for some reason traffic starts headed towards questions regarding euler, then we canalways add it.

The reason i think homework sections would be good to have its own forum, is because professors and teachers sometimes make strict rules on how they accomplish a certain task. This method is not always the best. They sometimes make you write c code in python, or whatever. Or you cannot have 3rd party modules, or import any modules at all, etc. Because of stuff like this, it makes it "homework only". The real world wouldnt force upon you any of that stuff.

Homework people tend to try to just get by, wheras everyone else is interested in more discussion and multiple ways to accomplish a given task. Homework people are just trying to get passed their class. Most tend to not care about the best approach, but just getting it done.

Plus lately it seems traffic warrants a homework section. There are a lot more homework questions than there is euler, or challenges
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Excellent points metulburr!

micseydel

Return to Suggestions