Flask Video Gallery

Flask Video Gallery

Postby iainstott » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:09 pm

Hi guys, wondering if someone here could lay a hand.

I am looking at building a web based video gallery so I can share my home videos with my family. All videos are stored in subfolders of one root folder and have screenshots relating to the folder with same name as the video eg.

-/root
--/xmas09
--/xmas09/vid01.mp4
--/xmas09/vid01.jpg
-/xmas09.jpg
--/mybirthdays
--/mybirthdays/09/vid01.mp4
--/mybirthdays/09/vid01.jpg
-/mybirthdays/09.jpg

What I would like to accomplish is to build an app in flask or something similar, that scans the folders and generates a website that can traverse the folders listing each, and the video files, using the screenshots to then link to the video file to start streaming in the browser.

I am quite new to flask only done one very simple project up to now, and have been googling for a while but havent really found a direction to go in.

Thanks in advance
Iain
iainstott

Re: Flask Video Gallery

Postby nilamo » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:40 pm

Sounds pretty rad. The place to start would be to probably ignore the fact that you want to use flask, or even a browser, or that you'll eventually stream video. Start simple. Make a console app that recursively goes through directories, making a list of all available videos. That'll be most of the hard work, because the rest of the project will be putting a nice interface on top of it :p
This forum is shutting down. Future discussion should take place at http://python-forum.io
nilamo

Return to Web Development