Newbie Django/Python question

Newbie Django/Python question

Postby monikersupreme » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:55 pm

I've background in embedded C/C++ development but am new to Python.

I had a rather general question for the audience here - and if I'm way off track please feel free to point me in the right direction:

I'm trying to put together a program that will connect to a TSQL database (SQL Server 2012) and will form a set of XML files for a quarterly batch data upload. I'd like the controller portion of the program to be configurable via GUI. I've started writing the program from "scratch" with the intent of using SQLAlchem/ORM and generateDS to form the XML. I'd intended to write a simple Tkinter GUI in order to configure the controller, however, II increasingly encounter references to Django/Flask as I search for examples and, as it happens, the Visual Studio plugin I am using (PTVS) also provides a Django project template as well.

Would the Django framework be a good fit for what I am attempting?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by micseydel on Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Initial post lock.
monikersupreme

Re: Newbie Django/Python question

Postby monikersupreme » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Worth noting as well, the XML I am attempting to generate has a set schema (defined by a 3rd party) to which I need to adhere - hence I am using GenerateDS to create super/sub classes as part of my view.

Am I going about this all wrong?
monikersupreme

Postby monikersupreme » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Anyone?
monikersupreme

Postby micseydel » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:26 pm

I think your consideration of Django over Tkinter is a good one. I've personally decided not to learn a desktop GUI toolkit, in favor of web UIs (or mobile platforms when appropriate). With regard to selecting Django specifically, I think it depends on the complexity of the web app. It sounds simple, and I think Flask does simple much better than Django, which has quite the learning curve. Anytime I've started trying Django for a project, I always fall back on Flask and that's worked for my projects so far.

That said, if the existing Django code is very easy to work with then that might be the Flask option.

XML is a totally separate sub-feature here, right? I don't understand the issue, if there is one. I'm not sure how it related to Tkinter/Django/Flask/other. If you can clarify I'm sure you'll get an answer though :)
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Return to Web Development