In need to assitance with Python Project

Post here if you are recruiting Python programmers, or are a Python programmer looking for work.

In need to assitance with Python Project

Postby aliasfox » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:26 pm

Hello all,

I picked up fairly advanced python principles quickly and have been programming using it for about a year now. You could say at this point I have a theoretical project because I have not definitively confirmed that it works. If it does however it is huge. My code works on a small scale and mathematically --if I'm not missing anything-- but it must work on a larger one to be viable for market.

A little about me: I'm a Computer Science major with minor in Web Development. I have worked in IT and Engineering for 12+ years and I have extensive knowledge of hardware and software, all versions of Windows and most flavors of Linux. I am currently Systems Admin at an Engineering firm where I work and a freelance Full-Stack Web Developer with focus in eCommerce and SEO. I have a wide range of programming knowledge from C, C#, VisualBasic, QBasic, Dark Basic, Python, Cold Fusion, Java, and JavaScript. My passion is technology and if I could use just one word to describe myself it would be 'analytical.'

The scale of the project is not huge (currently, but I do have big plans), the problem is that I don't have input, someone to assist with code review, and I would like the contents of the code and it's purpose to remain confidential. One reason for this is that some people may say that what I am trying to accomplish is impossible but I have had someone with a masters in math go over the idea and it is sound, though he has pointed out a few potential issues that I believe I can solve and have already considered though I didn't know the terms he pointed out. I recently refactored the code and the result benchmarks faster than C (from a series of compile tests I have done). Speed will be important in the future but at this point I would settle for a working prototype and the reason for refactoring was to sort out a bug I was having. The bug is now fixed but now I have more work in refactoring the remaining code, after which I believe it will be working enough to move forward with a demo of the code.

And I know two people who "know" some Python but they are unable to help. A concrete understanding of Python is required please and a strong background in mathematics in preferred, but strong motivation and willingness to learn could be just as important. A California resident would be preferred as I live in Bakersfield, CA. Lastly, please keep an open mind and be willing to sign a NDA and if this turns into a viable business venture, please be aware that there will be viable equity in it for you.

Please PM me if at all interested.

Thank you,

Micheal
Last edited by Mekire on Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock. Moved to jobs.
aliasfox

Re: In need to assitance with Python Project

Postby micseydel » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:11 am

As an engineer in silicon valley, I hear stuff like this all the time (secret idea, equity, no details or specifics). If people think your idea is "impossible" and it still has "few potential issues" then you have much more to gain by saying at least enough to inspire interest, than to lose by someone "stealing" your idea.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby Ofnuts » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 pm

micseydel wrote:As an engineer in silicon valley, I hear stuff like this all the time (secret idea, equity, no details or specifics). If people think your idea is "impossible" and it still has "few potential issues" then you have much more to gain by saying at least enough to inspire interest, than to lose by someone "stealing" your idea.

And let's not forget that Edison said that genius is 1% inspiration (your idea) and 99% perspiration (coding your idea)...
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby aliasfox » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:20 pm

I do get where you are coming from and I understand the reservations.

This post was meant initially for the general forums but a moderator moved it to jobs. It's not a job, it's honestly just a cool project that may or may not work. I'm not trying to keep it "secret" per se, I'm just not ready to blast the idea out there until I can definitively prove the concept and the fact that many people are negative and I don't need that or want it. I know that might be considered a naive approach but there is enough negative out there. When you're young, people tell you that anything is possible and you believe it.. when you get older people tell you a lot of things are impossible, even those thing eventually proven to be possible. It's disheartening.

I've told a few people the underlining idea and I've received both good and bad responses. Some have said it's impossible, but have been unable to prove why and I have working code.

I will be marked as a loon for saying it, but it is a lossless data compression that can compress random data and right now I have more proof that it works than doesn't. If it is true, it's huge and I didn't use AI to come up with it. I understand data theory and math and understand why it is considered impossible, but I've proven at least on a small scale that it is. And that concept bothers me, and I know the usual consensus will arise.. he's either trying to make money on a false claim, just because he's a jerk, he's an idiot and doesn't know what he's talking about, or whathaveyou.

The simple fact is: I'd like to figure out 100% if it works or doesn't but I have only so much time to put into it and only my own input.. and yes I do not want someone to take my idea. Is it wrong to want some unbiased opinion and assistance simply to bounce ideas off? Because regardless of whether this project works or not, I will continue trying new things regardless of what the bandwagon dictates and I will learn a lot doing it.

Thanks.
aliasfox

Postby micseydel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:34 pm

You seem very defensive. Most of what you addressed was not brought up by us. In principal, I am open to "crazy" ideas, as we should regularly question what we believe, but healthy skepticism should generally be applied.

I am trying to remain open-minded but have quickly come to what I believe is "proof" of this claim not being possible. You are claiming that you can map from a larger domain to a smaller one, and then back. But once you're in the smaller domain, you don't have enough "pointers" to all the possibilities in the larger, original domain. If you can't address this simple problem, then I don't believe anyone should feel interested in your project.

A skeptical position met with "it's too secret" shouldn't convince the skeptic. I'm not saying you're definitely wrong (though I can't conceive of how your claim could be true) but you need to consider what would be worth signing an NDA. You have a certain burden of proof, and if that overlaps with novel, proprietary ideas then that's not the problem of the people you wish to get excited.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby aliasfox » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:31 pm

micseydel,

Actually, I didn't say these negative things were brought up by you, or anyone else who has commented. My view comes from researching others who had such claims... and yes skepticism is needed, otherwise you just become gullible for misinformation which I believe is rampant on the web. I don't disagree.. I just hesitate in placing a claim out there that for 1) I do not believe is 100% confirmed (more testing and scale is needed), and 2) that I believe will be criticized. And again, I'm not intending to make it "secretive", I just don't want the negative effect of having it too open too quickly.. and I do believe I have a unique position.

As for the technicalities of my program addressing collision data (probability for multiple outcomes from the same input data, not having enough "pointers".. or whatever you want to call it), yes I actually have three solutions for this. One being the best most complicated to implement (or most difficult to wrap my head around but is the smallest and fastest code), I am currently using the simplest implementation of the three currently and honestly a hybrid between the three for validation purposes and performance, I think would be the ultimate solution.

Technical discussion to me is exciting and I do appreciate the responses, so thank you. I don't have many programmer or math inclined friends, honestly I don't have many people I truly consider friends.

I joined a few meetup groups locally (though the Python community where I live is nearly non-existent). I enjoy tossing out some math theory or whatnot, so I am looking into multiple avenues and while I'd like to do it all alone, I occasionally run into time constraints or decisions that it would be nice to have input on. And it's always helpful when refactoring to have a fresh pair of eyes. So that's just where I am and I didn't mean to insinuate anything.

P.S. I have limited knowledge about copyright and "propitiatory" IP and as I understand it, it's really more about being first to market. People steal or use other peoples content all the time, whether it being graphics, photos, or some kind of data. So it may seem to you an irrational fear to have your idea stolen, but I don't personally think so. I've been working on this for about a year, but the concept --a question really-- has been bouncing around in my head for over a decade.

Thanks!
aliasfox

Postby Ofnuts » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:11 pm

aliasfox wrote:I understand data theory and math and understand why it is considered impossible, but I've proven at least on a small scale that it is.

So you can take a file with 512 bytes of random data, produce a significantly smaller file, and using only this smaller file, reconstruct the original file?
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby micseydel » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:11 pm

I want to clarify your claim... Imagine we have Alice, Bob and Eve. Alice sends Bob a bit-string of length N. Are you saying that Bob can send Eve a bit-string of length < N, and that Eve can somehow infer the bits that are missing from what Alice originally sent? Are there any limitations on N or the contents of the bit-string?

micseydel

Return to Jobs