Function Basics

A place where you can post Python-related tutorials you made yourself, or links to tutorials made by others.

Function Basics

Postby metulburr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 am

metulburr

Re: Function Basics

Postby micseydel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:06 am

I wouldn't mention yield here, since generators are more advanced. I also don't like the negative tone regarding recursion. It's an excellent tool, even though it's not something we use much in Python.

I think I've noticed this in other tutorials here (maybe even mine, it's hard to tell) but we sometimes say things that make sense to us, but aren't obvious to newbie programmers. For example,
global declares module-level variables that are to be assigned.

I don't believe we ever get into the nitty-gritty of what assignment is, although it's very important to a deep understanding of what is going on. It's also something that should be approached differently depending on the user's experience - someone who is a seasoned C programmer is going to be easier to explain it to than a non-programmer.

I'm not saying this post is terrible and we should take it down, but I think that we'll need to refine what we have so far, keeping in mind the assumptions we make.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:10 am

Change what you think needs done. I just took a shot at a different function thread than the one originally there. Or we can grab all the functions threads "good points" and make a new decent function tutorial thread, while leaving out each bad.

I think I've noticed this in other tutorials here (maybe even mine, it's hard to tell) but we sometimes say things that make sense to us, but aren't obvious to newbie programmers.

That is very possible. What is funny is i remember when i started, people would explain things, and i would be like "What???". Now i am the one on the other side of the fence.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby micseydel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:43 pm

It's tricky, a person just wanting to learn to code right away doesn't necessarily need to know a lot of details (like the difference between a statement and an expression) however there does come a point when knowing the terminology and all the very technical details becomes worthwhile. I'm not sure where to draw the line.

Also, I appreciate you giving permission to improve this thread, but I mostly wanted to say that it's just very difficult, if I had concrete specific changes I'd have pointed them out right away. I'll think about it though, and we can use replies to discuss the best way to go about things.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:11 pm

yeah i would rather have good tutorials written by all of us and edited by all of us to make one good thread, than a war of who wrote this tut or that tut.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Return to Tutorials