installing pygame in pycharm?!?!?!?

Postby netrate » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:30 am

On my system I have:

the newest Community version of Pycharm
python 3.3
Downloaded the newest version of pygame
pygame-1.9.2a0.win32-py3.2.msi 6.4M
I install pygame, there are no errors.

In pycharm I go to SETTING > PROJECT INTERPRETER > and click the + sign.

When I search through all of the library, PYGAME is not listed anywhere! I have seen screen shots of what it is supposed to look like and there isn't a single PYGAME interpreter to use, instead it looks like a jumble of pygame parts.

There is a list for

simpleGUIC2Pygame

pygame-music-grid

pygame-camera

pygame_cffi

pygame_loaders

pygame_toolbox

pygameday

pygameoflife

pygamess

pygameui

pygameweb

sge-pygame

vext.pygame

wxpygamevideoplayer

What should I do? I can't make heads or tails of this?
netrate

Re: installing pygame in pycharm?!?!?!?

Postby Marbelous » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:26 pm

There is no such thing as a "Pygame interpreter", pygame is just a module. You just use the python interpreter to run pygame code. If you have pygame installed correctly you should be able to import it using PyCharm or any other IDE. You are correct that the pygame module is NOT available through PyCharms Package Installer although many support modules are. I don't know why.

EDIT: Noticed that you're trying to use pygame for 3.2 with python 3.3. Don't think that will work but I'm not sure since I still use python 2.7. You can search for the 3.3 version. It's available at BitBucket and a few other unofficial sites...
Marbelous

Re: installing pygame in pycharm?!?!?!?

Postby metulburr » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:22 pm

pycharm is just an IDE. Learn to install 3rd party libs from source with a compiler or via a wheel. And test them using a command prompt (the operating systems black console). After this is successful, then you have it correctly installed on your system. THEN try to get your IDE (Pycharm) to be able to use it. Not the other way around. Remember IDE's (pycharm/IDLE) are not required to run python or 3rd party libs.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Return to Game Development