Pygame step by step

All new tutorial are submitted here.
They will be moved to the main Tutorials section once they have been approved by mods and admins.

Pygame step by step

Postby DavitosanX » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:51 am

I would like to see if my blog could make this list. Could you please evaluate it and give constructive feedback? I think it could help people who want to code video games to better understand the long, slow process that such endeavor entails. I finished the first program in 5 entries, and have started with visual programs with pygame. I'll keep adding entries frequently.

The link is http://myowngamejourney.blogspot.mx/
DavitosanX

Re: Pygame step by step

Postby Mekire » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:02 am

Well, it isn't really a tutorial as I'm sure you are aware; I'm not sure if it would belong in the tutorial section, but perhaps.

Personally, I would have to see all the star imports vanish as well as the unpythonic naming conventions.
Also, blanket exceptions are a no-no; catch the specific exception you are expecting (in your case probably IOError).
Star imports are just not something beginners should be exposed to, unless they are being very explicitly told why not to use them.

For naming conventions, we only use CamelCase for class names; lower_with_underscores for normal variables; ALL_CAPS for global constants.
If you haven't already, please read through this (a couple times honestly):
Pep 8: Python Style Guide

Also, on a more trivial note, I think a less misleading title like, "Follow my journey to learn game programming," might be in order. It makes it more clear that you are trying to share your quest rather than telling others the "correct" way. "Step by Step," doesn't give me this image.

-Mek
Mekire

Re: Pygame step by step

Postby DavitosanX » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:15 pm

Thank you very much for your input. I'll make the changes as soon as I can and then submit again.
DavitosanX

Return to Tutorial Submissions