Location Identifier & Sentiment Analysis

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Location Identifier & Sentiment Analysis

Postby S.W.Villain » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 am

Hello All,

I am very new to Python and have very basic knowledge of its capabilities and functionality.

I am currently working on a school project using python and I have a couple of general questions.

We are attempting to use python to draw information from twitter whereby we want create a sentiment map. The goal is to pull tweets for a specific company then be able to analyze the tweets to find out the number of times that either positive sentiments (words like good; enjoyable etc) or negative sentiments are tweeted for a given region of the world (say the U.S or Canada). We want to then export the information to excel where we have built a spreadsheet that will populate a map with the sentiments and will then give the company (albeit on a very basic level) the ability to identify where there is negative sentiment so they can improve their customer service.

Just wondering:

- whether it is possible to specify in the code a specific location (city preferably) where the tweets will be pulled from
- whether it is possible to splice the information that is pulled so we can isolate the tweet and the location so that we can count the number of times a positive tweet was created and the number of times a negative tweet was created for the location

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Scott
S.W.Villain

Re: Location Identifier & Sentiment Analysis

Postby micseydel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

It looks like yes.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Return to General Coding Help