Location Identifier & Sentiment Analysis

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Location Identifier & Sentiment Analysis

Postby S.W.Villain » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:02 am

Hello All,

I am very new to Python and have very basic knowledge of its capabilities and functionality.

I am currently working on a school project using python and I have a couple of general questions.

We are attempting to use python to draw information from twitter whereby we want create a sentiment map. The goal is to pull tweets for a specific company then be able to analyze the tweets to find out the number of times that either positive sentiments (words like good; enjoyable etc) or negative sentiments are tweeted for a given region of the world (say the U.S or Canada). We want to then export the information to excel where we have built a spreadsheet that will populate a map with the sentiments and will then give the company (albeit on a very basic level) the ability to identify where there is negative sentiment so they can improve their customer service.

Just wondering:

- whether it is possible to specify in the code a specific location (city preferably) where the tweets will be pulled from
- whether it is possible to splice the information that is pulled so we can isolate the tweet and the location so that we can count the number of times a positive tweet was created and the number of times a negative tweet was created for the location

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Scott
S.W.Villain

Re: Location Identifier & Sentiment Analysis

Postby micseydel » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:45 pm

It looks like yes.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Return to General Coding Help