When to use a python script vs module?

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

When to use a python script vs module?

Postby marciokoko » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:42 pm

I have this py file which toggles relays on a ble enabled relay board. The python file runs on a RPi2 with a serial ble module. I've got 2 separate files doing 2 separate things so far;

sendat5.py - actually sends a command to read relay states on the board:
togglerelay.py - toggles a relay on and off. To do so at present i actually modify the command sent, since "e" turns on and "o" turns off

https://github.com/quique123/RPi2-HM10-Python

Id like to put this together into some sort of module or script. At present my plans are to simply have a user run the script manually and have it ask the user what command it wishes to send and maybe return a read command after each command sent. So in other words, the relay board has 4 relays. The script would be run and automatically return the state of all 4 relays (as sendat5.py currently does). It would prompt the user for a command to send, send it when user hits enter and then return a read again, updating the state of all 4 relays based on command sent by user.

Im new to python but Im thinking create a class with a read and write function and then somehow create a script to be run which prompts the user for input?

Thats what the tsrb430.py file I came up with is.

What is the difference between just running a script through python srcipt.py and a module?
marciokoko

Return to General Coding Help