IDLE stopped working...

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

IDLE stopped working...

Postby snakeinmyboot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:02 am

Ok, so I have been using IDLE for python scripting for about 2 months now on a 13" macbook pro with the latest version of OSX. Everything worked fine....until today. For some reason now whenever I open Idle....it automatically closes. Im talking seriously auotomatic....like it doesnt even open for a split second.....tried restarting computer, and re installing python....but it still does this...this is the weirdest and most annoying thing to ever happen on my mac....can someone please help me? Im kind of seriously freaking out right now...Im not sure if this has anything to do with it, but this started happening right after I changed a preference in IDLE for the first time. nothing major, just told it not to prompt me to save before I run the script, and thats it. HELP!!!!
snakeinmyboot

Re: IDLE stopped working...

Postby micseydel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:35 am

Try running the IDLE executable, located at something like
/Applications/Python 2.7/IDLE.app/Contents/MacOS/IDLE

in a Terminal window. Post your output here.

I used OS X for about 9 months until I found many Python-related things with it are extremely agitating, and I switched to Linux.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby hrs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:55 pm

Does OSX like linux have "hidden" configuration files in user home? For example in ~/.idle/bla.
If there's something wrong there reinstalling wont help.
hrs

Postby snakeinmyboot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:15 pm

I will try
micseydel wrote:Try running the IDLE executable, located at something like

I used OS X for about 9 months until I found many Python-related things with it are extremely agitating, and I switched to Linux.

I cant find anything beyond applications/python3.3/IDLE. there are no options or folders to go beyond that. Im not too familiar with terminal, do you mean for me to run it inside terminal? sorry im a noob.
snakeinmyboot

Postby snakeinmyboot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:17 pm

hrs wrote:Does OSX like linux have "hidden" configuration files in user home? For example in ~/.idle/bla.
If there's something wrong there reinstalling wont help.

are you talking about like preference files? Yes they do, and ive thought about deleting that file to try and fix my problem...issue is, that for some reason ive been locked out of viewing my library folder (where they are).....says I "dont have permission" I dont know if this has something to do with me recently installing windows on a bootcamp partition or not.....ugh
snakeinmyboot

Postby snakeinmyboot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:20 pm

micseydel wrote:Try running the IDLE executable, located at something like

ok nevermind, I found out what you are talking about. this is the output:

Last login: Sun Jun 23 15:03:33 on console
NinjaBookPro:~ Massakre$ /Applications/Python\ 3.3/IDLE.app/Contents/MacOS/IDLE ; exit;
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Python 3.3/IDLE.app/Contents/Resources/idlemain.py", line 73, in <module>
main()
File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/idlelib/PyShell.py", line 1553, in main
shell.interp.runcommand(''.join(("print('", tkversionwarning, "')")))
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'interp'
logout

[Process completed]
snakeinmyboot

Postby snakeinmyboot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:31 pm

I found a topic on the official python site where someone was having a problem and had the same text as me in the last part of my terminal output.

http://bugs.python.org/issue17613

I couldnt really find anyway for this to help me, but it might help one of you help me. thanks guys (girls?)
snakeinmyboot

Postby hrs » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:02 pm

snakeinmyboot wrote:are you talking about like preference files? Yes they do, and ive thought about deleting that file to try and fix my problem...issue is, that for some reason ive been locked out of viewing my library folder (where they are).....says I "dont have permission" I dont know if this has something to do with me recently installing windows on a bootcamp partition or not.....ugh

I don't know if OSX calls it preference files. An NSA compliant search engine suggests that IDLE puts its config files in .idlerc. You could try to move that dir using a terminal
Code: Select all
cd $HOME
mv .idlerc idlerc-disabled

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.py ... ral/726810
hrs

Postby snakeinmyboot » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:58 pm

hrs wrote:
snakeinmyboot wrote:are you talking about like preference files? Yes they do, and ive thought about deleting that file to try and fix my problem...issue is, that for some reason ive been locked out of viewing my library folder (where they are).....says I "dont have permission" I dont know if this has something to do with me recently installing windows on a bootcamp partition or not.....ugh

I don't know if OSX calls it preference files. An NSA compliant search engine suggests that IDLE puts its config files in .idlerc. You could try to move that dir using a terminal
Code: Select all
cd $HOME
mv .idlerc idlerc-disabled

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.py ... ral/726810

this worked :) thank you!
snakeinmyboot

Return to General Coding Help