Help! Psych Student Looking For Help

This is the place for queries that don't fit in any of the other categories.

Help! Psych Student Looking For Help

Postby afodes » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:50 pm

I'm trying to prepare an experiment for my senior thesis, and my advisor and I have run into a problem: we need to record participant response time via a joystick (they respond to one stimuli by pushing the joystick and the other category by pulling), but the program we normally use, SuperLab, doesn't communicate with joysticks at all (nor DDR mats, which is another option 'cause of the directionality). We're looking into other programs but aren't sure how we could map a joystick such that the direction of the response is recorded. Any thoughts? I've never programmed before myself, so I need to learn it all, but is this something that can be done? If so, how?
Last edited by Yoriz on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock
afodes

Re: Help! Psych Student Looking For Help

Postby micseydel » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:58 pm

You can try Googling your model of joy stick along with "Python" or "pygame" and that might help figure out a bit. But yes, if you want to write a program, you'll have to learn Python (or see if you can give an undergrad credits for helping you or something). To learn Python, you can use any of the free tutorials on the web which are available as traditional written tuts, or even Youtube videos. This is my personal favorite tutorial, and I hate using Youtube videos, because I can't skim or skip as easily. But it's all up to the individual.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Re: Help! Psych Student Looking For Help

Postby Somelauw » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:30 pm

You might take a look at this code:
http://cs.simpson.edu/?q=move_game_controller.py

It does require pygame and even though the pygame website is currently down, it can still be downloaded from http://pygame.org/ftp/
If you are on windows and you are using python 3.1, you will probably want to download this one:
pygame-1.9.1.win32-py3.1.msi
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Somelauw

Return to General Coding Help