New Users Introduce Yourself

Re: New Users Introduce Yourself

Postby drewster1123 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 pm

Hey everyone. my name is Drew, i am 12 years old. i just started working with python with the help of some YouTube videos. this taught me the very basic stuff like how to use python as a calculator and variables. Now I'm looking for some more challenging things to and that's where I'm having problems.
Last edited by Mekire on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Welcome. First post lock. Tradition.
drewster1123

Postby McCoffee » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

my name is Jay. I have been working in python for a little while now, as I took part in the first edx course "Introduction to computer science and programming with python" and found that I really enjoy programming. I am looking forward to interacting with other people who also like programming. I am not officially studying computers or programming in school, so not a lot of the people I know are interested in this stuff. Currently, I write a lot of scripts for little pipelines in python that facilitate analyses of large biological datasets (DNA sequence). I am also trying to teach myself how to use Django, because I would like to work on websites as well. In addition to learning more python, I am interested in learning new languages (mostly programming ones, Java, HTML and CSS with the Head First books) and I am really interested in mathematics. In fact, I am going through the MIT opencourseware where they have many of their courses online for free (including ones that use python). Of course, if anyone else is learning from these MIT courses (or interested in doing so), it is usually nice to have a learning buddy, so let me know!

- Jay
McCoffee

Postby emllac » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:08 am

Hi everyone. I found here is a very nice discuss forum of python. The article "New Users, Read This" is very detailed include how to discuss and ask question. I like to learn new things and hope everyone can find resource they need here and be familiar with it.

Sometimes I programmed in java, and find Python is also a good programming language. See many people feedback is a good thing. Hope everyone enjoys in it.
emllac

Postby Stark » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:13 pm

Hello everyone. I could not see the "introduce yourself" part at the first time i read New User Guide so i think i'm a little late for that but still i'm here :) So..
My name is Ahmet. I'm from Turkey and my age is 19. I love designing and creating new devices so this is why i started learning python. I'm also learning how to use designing programs like SolidWorks, AutoCad, MasterCAM and trying to learn about electronics. My main goal is to use all of these information and create systems that works together for a single purpose like using an electric motor to lock a door, using a PLC unit to control the electric motor, and using a computer program to control PLC unit. So maybe i can lock my doors by clicking on a button on the screen :D But Turkish education system is terrible so i'm 19 and know so little. I'm also learning Java with Python. Also my english is terrible as you can see and i am sorry for that. Nice to meet you guys and thanks for answering my questions :)
Stark

Postby gu391 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 am

Hi all,

I thought I would introduce myself. I am Andrew, a Networking student from the UK who is starting to learn python as it goes hand in hand with software defined networking "the future".
Last edited by Mekire on Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Welcome. First post lock. Tradition.
gu391

noob

Postby HeeBeeGeeBee » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:03 am

Hi

Just joined. I am new to python. Learning python 3.4. Background is db (oracle PLSQL is my first computer language). I am mucking with selenium at the moment which is great fun.

Giving a shout out
Last edited by Yoriz on Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.Moved to introduction
HeeBeeGeeBee

Postby zvonko92 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:19 pm

Hello,

I am Zvonimir, student of ELectrical engineering. I have been programming in C and C++. Now I need to learn Python.
zvonko92

Postby satyanv7 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:00 am

Hello Guys,
I'm Sat and new to this forum. I guess this could be a basic question.

I have 10 + years of experience in various departments of retail banking after my post graduation in commerce. I'm planning to learn Python, but I'm completely new to the programming, also I'm an average student in the college (who prepares for the exams when 90 days countdown triggered :o )

Any advise for me on learning Python is a good idea in my case, how long will it take to learn if I spend 2hrs daily on this, what are the best and quick learning resources that you can suggest for me please.

Appreciate your advises and suggestions in advance.

Regards
Sat
Last edited by Mekire on Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock. Tradition.
satyanv7

Postby Hack » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:56 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is Daniel. I consider myself new to Python, although I wrote a fairly complex application a few years ago using Python 2.6 and wxPython. Most of my projects involve embedded systems (usually PIC microcontrollers, although I'm slowly branching out into Atmel chips). I see Python as a great way to interface between the PC world and the embedded world. I am drawn by the flexability of the laungage, and the great collection of libraries.

-Daniel
Hack

Postby Jiten » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:30 am

Hello everyone my name is Jiten. I am new here.
Thanks
Jiten

Postby cairo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:02 pm

Hail to all, I'm new here and I'm curious with programing, so python seems to be a good way to start and put my brain to work out of the box. I hope soon help I will be able to help others users with their questions. :D
cairo

Postby Baldyr » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 pm

I've been researching programming languages all summer but haven't done that much actual coding. I had actually given up on Python and tried to get into Java instead. It was a bit rough, to be honest, even if it made me appreciate Python all that more. I also looked into JavaScript, as I figured that using a browser as the GUI for my work would make sense. I'm yet to write anything in JavaScript though.

I guess I couldn't keep away from Python in the end, even if it still feels less useful as something like Java or JavaScript. But it's the only language (besides Basic, back in the day) I already know, so I registered here and started writing and responding to posts. I'm not the most learned coder on the boards, but responding to those who know even less than I gives me a reason to freshen up my knowledge, look up things and even try code out. So this is actually very helpful as I gear up to start coding myself again!

Right now I kinda need to decide between Python 2 versus 3 as my choice of language...
Baldyr

Postby ricardo49 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:49 pm

I was a member here about two years ago. I was studying Python and even reached the point where I was writing simple programs. Then several things happened:

• I put aside my study of Python for other projects.
• My operating system was upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7.
• I retired.

Python is like any other language: Use it or lose it. I need to re-install Python (preferably version 3.3.0, since I have notes about it and programs I wrote using it) and relearn the 99.35% of the language which I have forgotten. I will have questions about a lot of very basic stuff, which I hope people here will have the patience to answer.

Here is some info about me:

• Male, 65 years old, happily unmarried, from Richmond, Virginia, U.S.A.
• College graduate with a major in French and a minor in Spanish.
• News junkie
• Reads a lot of non-fiction, especially history
• Tends to make lists using bullets
• Retirement activities:
o Volunteer at the Sacred Heart Center of Richmond, which works with Spanish-speaking immigrants
o Member of RVA Archaeology, a community organization dealing with archaeology issues. My area of interest within this group is research dealing with maps, in particular old ones of the city from the 19th and early 20th centuries.

I look forward to a pleasant association with the members of this website. I may become a barfly in your “Bar” forum, where it’s my understanding that non-programming-related subjects are permissible.
Last edited by Mekire on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock. Tradition. Welcome.
ricardo49

Postby Superiorform » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Well hey guys, my name is Oliver, known around the internet as your SUPREME LEADER SUPERIORFORM! Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

Anyways, I recently turned 13 and want a hobby other than kickboxing so i looked at programming, looked what a beginner can do and the internet spat python at me. I will be asking a lot of n00b questions so expect that.

A little about me: I enjoy kickboxing, alt metal, and now programming. Also reddit FTW.

Well I look forward to seeing you around here!
That's me, Superiorform!

P.S. Don't judge mah name, i'm not that condescending! (That means I talk down to people.)
Superiorform

Postby Baldyr » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 pm

13 should be a very good age to pick up programming. Actually, it was at that age I originally abandoned programming in order to pursue other interests. To be frank it was a case of not being able to afford the hardware to get started with Assembler coding (which felt like the next logical step from Basic), and the belief that my non-existent talent for mathematics would never get me anywhere in programming. Instead I picked up programming again as an adult, realizing how much I loved and had missed it. :ugeek:
Baldyr

Postby dokrbb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi all,

I have started to learn Python(and programming overall) a few weeks ago, and hope that joining this forum would be really helpful for me to get started; it is really difficult from the beginning when you get overwhelmed by all new concepts, language, terms, rules, and because of only one misplaced bracket you have no idea why you get an error :)

looking forward for productive discussions
dokrbb

Postby CasualCoding.org » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi there, Python users!

My name is Dennis, I am 35 years of age and I live in Germany. I first came in contact with programming in highschool, when we did some Pascal. Though I had a lot of fun and additionally played around a little with Visual Basic at home, I gave up programming shortly after that, never to touch it again for many, many years.

Around the age of 29 or so, I can't really remember what caused it, I regained interest in programming. Meanwhile being an experienced Linux user, I really wanted to learn C. But after all those years and with having learned only the most basic basics of Pascal, I had a really hard time finding my way through the whole thing. I tried C++ and Java too, and I changed those languages a lot, making no real progress in either one.

Then, two years ago or so, I came across Python. I still try a bit of C and C++ every now and then today, but no other language ever enthused me the way Python did.

Recently, I created a website and a github repo for future hobby projects (open source, of course). But still I am a learner in Python, so it will still take a while, especially since I don't find all the time I would like to practice my hobby.

I am active member in some German python forums, and now I registered with this one too. I do hope I can extend all my knowledge with your help as well as being able to help others. See you guys soon!
Hardware: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz × 8
Operating system: Debian Testing/Jessie / Linux 3.16-2-amd64 / KDE SC 4.14.2
Interpreter: python 3.4.2
CasualCoding.org

Postby Baldyr » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:31 pm

CasualCoding.org wrote:But still I am a learner in Python, so it will still take a while, especially since I don't find all the time I would like to practice my hobby.

True that! Most of the time this forum is all the programming I can get out of my free time. Sometimes it's weeks between the moments when I can muster the time and focus to actually work on any of my projects. Reading the posts here, replying with additional tips or the odd question keeps me thinking Python, at least. Also trying to help others makes me really think about these concepts, in order to be able to explain something to someone who knows less or much less than myself. This helps with my own learning, since I'm someone who needs to digest information for some time before putting it to practical use.

Also, I share your enthusiasm for Python. As do most people here, obviously. For me, Python equals fun. :D
Baldyr

Postby RodionGork » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:29 pm

Hi, friends, colleagues and gurus! :)

I'm Rodion, from Russia. Currently employed as Java developer in outsourcing US-based company (main office is here while development offices are in Russia, Ukraine, Poland, Argentina and probably few more).

When I was about 14, I had great troubles in the school because of programming - it was back in 1997 I think. Then my parents bought me used IBM PC clone with 80386 CPU - and I started learning... And I still continue learning!

I started with Pascal, then have some experience with x86 assembly, later switched to C and used it for more than 10 years, including my first two IT-related jobs (they were about electronics and POS-terminals software).

I switched with some pains to Java in 2011. Meanwhile I've learned or at least touched many languages, Python one of them.

Year ago I've started my small site with programming problems (http://www.codeabbey.com) - it is similar to ProjectEuler, but with not that much math and have some features (like viewing others solutions).

Currently there are about 170+ problems and 2000+ users - and I've found that about 50% of them use Python.

I myself do know some Python and can write small programs or debug others' codes - but I feel I should try to improve my skills - either by asking questions, or by reading/answering others' questions. Shortly speaking that is why I searched for dedicated Python forum. :)
CodeAbbey - programming problems for novice coders (+ certificates)
RodionGork

Postby stranac » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:57 pm

RodionGork wrote:Year ago I've started my small site with programming problems (http://www.codeabbey.com) - it is similar to ProjectEuler, but with not that much math and have some features (like viewing others solutions).

Seems like an interesting website, but it wants me to have a username with 8 characters. So I guess I won't be using it...
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

PreviousNext

Return to Bar