[meta] Loss of previous forum posts drama.

[meta] Loss of previous forum posts drama.

Postby 7stud » Thu May 01, 2014 6:01 pm

stranac wrote:You should know better than removing content of your post...

I was thinking the same thing after you "removed" 3,000 of my posts.

Note by micseydel: This thread at the time of this edit is just posts moved from an unrelated thread. Note everyone involved: please avoid hijacking. Create and link to a new thread if you want to have a different conversation. You can request a mod move posts (as I've done here) if need be. If I missed any post moves, let me know, this interface is somewhat icky.
Last edited by Mekire on Sat May 03, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Micseydel: My comment, attribution of the quote to stranac, and lock. Mekire: Title changed
7stud

Re: how could I go about creating indentation guide-lines

Postby stranac » Thu May 01, 2014 6:10 pm

Sure, it's my fault the old posts haven't been restored...
Friendship is magic!

R.I.P. Tracy M. You will be missed.
stranac

Postby metulburr » Thu May 01, 2014 8:05 pm

I read 7stud's post before he removed it, and it did have nothing to do with the OP. I remember thinking that he must of misposted in the wrong thread a reponse to something else. At the time i was on a tablet, and i hate making posts on a tablet, so i didnt say anything.

However, it has been the norm here to not remove posts/edit posts to avoid confusion. So that someone can read through post by post receiving the entire converstation, not just the highlights or relevant parts. We even go so far to lock first posters threads, because it has become a habit of newcomers to delete their inital post after thier question was answered. Someone reading this thread would have no idea what we are talking about, or that the post may or may not of had anything to do with the OP. Taht is why i always leave my posts and make and EDIT at the bottom of what i should of said, etc. but leave the original post alone.

what are you inferring? It is not stranacs fault that the old database is gone. If there is anyone i would blame jkbbwr as it was his responsibility to copy the database before messing with the site, and to reinsert that database instead of starting anew.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby 7stud » Thu May 01, 2014 8:18 pm

I should have said:

I was thinking the same thing after 3,000 of my posts got removed.

In any case, if you moderators trusted an incompetent jackass to back up the database, then you are all to blame. Why didn't every moderator have a copy of the database? Why wasn't a copy of the database pushed to github every month? Will it happen again?
Last edited by micseydel on Fri May 02, 2014 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Lock.
7stud

Postby stranac » Thu May 01, 2014 8:24 pm

7stud wrote:In any case, if you moderators trusted an incompetent jackass to back up the database, then you are all to blame. Why didn't every moderator have a copy of the database? Why wasn't a copy of the database pushed to github every month?

There was literally one moderator on the site at that time.
Wasn't even one of the ones who are active now.

And "trusting an incompetent jackass" was done by the entire community, not just the moderators.
For all your other questions, feel free to ask jkbbwr.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Postby metulburr » Thu May 01, 2014 8:27 pm

I wasnt a mod at the time, and neither was stranac. In fact there was only one modeator at the time.

7stud wrote: Why wasn't a copy of the database pushed to github every month? Have these questions been addressed somewhere?

We dont have control over what jkbbwr does. He is the only one with 100% access. stranac now has more access, but i think he is still resticted somewhat. There was some discussion about starting a new forum at the time soley because we do not have 100% access when it was down.
http://www.reddit.com/r/PythonForum/com ... hon_forum/
Last edited by micseydel on Fri May 02, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quote attribution.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby 7stud » Thu May 01, 2014 8:31 pm

metulburr wrote:I read 7stud's post before he removed it, and it did have nothing to do with the OP

As far as I could discern, the op was in the process of making a gui editor and wanted to know how to do automatic indenting, and I suggested some "guide lines"/a solution. And I mentioned another great feature the op might consider incorporating.
Last edited by micseydel on Fri May 02, 2014 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Lock, quote attribution.
7stud

Postby stranac » Thu May 01, 2014 8:36 pm

metulburr wrote:stranac now has more access, but i think he is still resticted somewhat.

Since jkbbwr changed servers last time, I have exactly the same access as the rest of admins.
jkbbwr said he would be more involved in the forum since he quit his job, but you know him...

Tcll:
You might want to start a new thread (and explain better what you want. I know it's hard for you, but no one can really understand what you're asking in this kind of a disorganized way).
We kinda hijacked this one.
Friendship is magic!

stranac

Re: [hijacked]how could I go about creating indentation guid

Postby 7stud » Thu May 01, 2014 8:43 pm

jkbbwr said he would be more involved in the forum since he quit his job

Why hasn't he been banned from the site for being so incompetent. He lost his job? Wow, I would have never guessed that.
7stud

Postby metulburr » Thu May 01, 2014 8:45 pm

7stud wrote:Why hasn't he been banned from the site for being so incompetent.

how would you ban the owner of a site?
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby 7stud » Thu May 01, 2014 8:48 pm

metulburr wrote:
7stud wrote:Why hasn't he been banned from the site for being so incompetent.

how would you ban the owner of a site?

According to that linked thread, there were big money men who bought the site. How could they not own the site?
7stud

Postby metulburr » Thu May 01, 2014 8:51 pm

According to that linked thread, there were big money men who saved the site. How could they not own the site?

They could of if they bought it, but they gave the money to jkbbwr (as well as every contributor)
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby 7stud » Thu May 01, 2014 8:53 pm

but they gave the money to jkbbwr

My god, are people really that dumb. I guess if you've got oodles of google money, it doesn't matter.
Last edited by micseydel on Fri May 02, 2014 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
7stud

Re: My god, are people really that dumb.

Postby micseydel » Fri May 02, 2014 12:37 am

7stud, when our community was under attack from the previously-benevolent owner, we came together to try to save it. We all trusted jkbbwr at the time, who was a loyal regular contributor. Even if at that time you would have dissented (which I doubt), you either (1) just didn't or (2) weren't around. Either way, you're in no position to complain about it now. An alternative to trusting him would have been to trust the owner who was selling it... which nobody was down for, since we felt attacked.

With regard to lost posts, software, etc.: I somehow had the only old backup at one point, which I distributed to regulars later on. By the time I got it, the new (still PhpBB) forum had a bunch of posts, and I didn't feel it was right to remove what was existing at the time (and is what we currently have now) to restore the old. I realize you were a top contributor, and that you probably want those posts back. (A few weeks before the forum going down, I was the #1 contributor in terms of sheer posts, so I truly feel your pain.)

We then wanted to merge the old and new content. octopez volunteered to do so for PhpBB a few months ago, but we haven't heard from him for nearly as long. You're welcome to take over that role, although once that new database has been created we are still reliant on jkbbwr to either "restore" it or give someone else shell access to do so. (I have privileges to restore a local backup, but not a remote one, even though I can create and download them.) If stranac gets it again or someone else does, it'd be easy to deploy a combined database.

We've talked about moving somewhere else as well. stranac and I, and perhaps others, have the power to do backups. I did one just now, since this reminded me of it. We can also restore it to another server. I don't wish to do so unless I were to use a combined one, either for PhpBB or some other software. We'd also have to have community support, and and theoretically jkbbwr, having ultimate authority, could bring down the hammer and leave no traces to the new forum in this one. He could obliterate this post/thread at any time. I suspect he doesn't visit here enough enough for it to be likely, but it's a concern.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby 7stud » Fri May 02, 2014 5:46 pm

You're welcome to take over that role, although once that new database has been created we are still reliant on jkbbwr to either "restore" it or give someone else shell access to do so.

I'm not about to donate my time to helping jkbbwr.
7stud

Postby micseydel » Fri May 02, 2014 8:22 pm

What do you mean by that? How does it help him? He's not here. It'd help this community, it wouldn't do anything for him personally.

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby 7stud » Fri May 02, 2014 10:54 pm

He owns the site doesn't he?
7stud

Postby micseydel » Sat May 03, 2014 12:49 am

He owns the domain and pays for and manages the server (to be generous when saying "manages"). I still don't see how it's helping him. I'm not sure it's something he intends to do himself, and even if it were, he'd be doing it for us, not himself (which is probably why he hasn't done it).

micseydel

Postby Kebap » Sat May 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Could you rename this thread to reflect more upon the forum history / lost posts, etc? Thanks.

Maybe there will even be some ideas on how to rectify the situation between all the complaining.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Re: [meta] Loss of previous forum posts drama.

Postby XndrK » Mon May 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Could someone give me a summary of what's going on here? I read it and my mind is still reeling.

Thanks.
Proverbs 26:14 describes me a bit too well.

Version: Python 2.7.5

https://github.com/4of92000
https://github.com/PythonForum/
XndrK

Next

Return to Bar