getting motivation

getting motivation

Postby metulburr » Thu May 08, 2014 9:13 pm

When I first started programming, i had a ton of motivation to program. Now it seems I hit the first snag, and give up. Im just like "ug" i dont want to do this now. I literally do not want to research how to do it, etc. The problem is the "i dont want to do this now" goes on and on for days and day, weeks, even months. This has slowly come over me the past half year to year or so. At that rate, how am i suppose to get my program completed? Im just a hobby progammer currently and a stay at home dad with a lot of free time on my hands. If i get burnt out on it as a hobby i couldnt image if i worked in the field. There are times when i cannot hear myself think, let alone program something i am having trouble with. Then other times i just have little to no interest.

I read somewhere that one of you guys stopped programming for like a year or two?
Have you guys felt like this at times?
What did you do to overcome it?
How do you maintain your motivation?
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Re: getting motivation

Postby Mekire » Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 am

I have the same issue. I'll have a problem in front of me; have a really good idea how to approach it; fully know that once I just start it eventually I will make it work the way I need; and then just really not want to. Definitely hard to get past.

I recommend stepping away from your current project(s) and doing something really really small.
I made that console 2048 for example. It wasn't a challenge; just a distraction from what I had been doing, and something I knew I could do really quickly. Nonetheless, I found the result satisfying and it helped me get back in the mood.

That "Boom," game that you are working on is, despite being "just a card game," an extremely involved project that is going to require a ton of work (especially if you are wanting it to be networked which I think is your aim). Do something small small; then try and come back to it.

But try to avoid what I have done which is coming back and deciding you need to scrap all your previous code :roll: .

Always tons of posts about motivation in /r/gamedev. It is a very universal feeling (just as the desire to scrap your code base every 6 months is a very universal feeling).

As I have said before I think that having a very clear checklist that you can cross things off on is extremely useful (and I have seen that you were doing this), but nonetheless you still have to push through sometimes.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby metulburr » Fri May 09, 2014 8:24 am

I recommend stepping away from your current project(s) and doing something really really small.

That is an excellent idea!!! I shall try that.

That "Boom," game that you are working on is, despite being "just a card game," an extremely involved project that is going to require a ton of work (especially if you are wanting it to be networked which I think is your aim). Do something small small; then try and come back to it.

Yes...I did not realize the magnitude of just a simple card game. And yes, the networking part alone drove me nuts just trying to come up with a structure on how to do it.

A non-GUI program for me is the current standing of simple (depending on the size). I will try to come up with mini projects with easily reachable goals for some console program.

I think another problem i have is i get so many game ideas, that i come across a really good one i like, and i put my current project on hold for this new game idea. And it seems just like a cycle over and over again. On that new game i will come across another game idea and so on, etc. etc. I really need to figure out how to just stick to one and finish it out.

OK so its not just me, lol. Sometimes i feel like this is my problem alone because i have soon to be 3 kids, a wife, and other stuff related to that. Sometimes i feel like the guys writing games are single and spend 90% of their time on the pc. I watched the latest prison architect alpha 20 video from the develepers, and it felt good to hear them hold their video up for a minute because one of their kids needed something and at another time discussing their kids.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby metulburr » Fri May 09, 2014 8:31 am

I jsut read through some of those subreddits, quite inspiring. Thanks.
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Postby Mekire » Fri May 09, 2014 8:33 am

metulburr wrote:I think another problem i have is i get so many game ideas, that i come across a really good one i like, and i put my current project on hold for this new game idea.
Also something I have seen a lot of people say. Responses are usually along the line of; keep a text file called ideas; any time you have an idea, immediately write it down and then try to forget about it. On a slow day when you really have nothing to do, open that file and see if anything in there still sounds like a good idea. This also happens a lot because adding the final polish on a program is quite arguably the most boring part. No one wants to grind out minimal bug fixes and minor details when they could start that next great project.

Unrelated, I found this game yesterday and it is amazing.
http://dishmoth.com/mini-quests-html/
Although a ton of work has gone into this project it is still a great example of keeping the scope and mechanics of an idea very limited, yet polishing the hell out of the final result.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby micseydel » Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 pm

Just regarding doing it for a living -- my job is entirely different from any personal projects I've done. The personal ones were essential to me being good at my job now, but when I did it myself it was mostly writing fresh code and copying snippets from Google'd pages. At work, I can easily spend several days reading a great deal of code, consulting with coworkers, and then after a week having completed a task by submitting on the order of ten lines for code review (though in the process, I could have written and tested hundreds of different lines that didn't work). It's a massively different experience. At work though, it's always very collaborative, which helps with the "wtf do I do now?" feeling.

You probably have enough skill for something like eLance or whatever else exists, if you have enough spare time being the stay-at-home parent, which could help you gain some experience, extra money, and could help lift you into a career programming if you're interested after getting that experience.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Sun May 11, 2014 3:22 pm

@mekire
http://pygame.org/project-Flood+It-2896-4729.html
it is quite inspiring to just finish off a game, instead of working on one thing that seems like the end in not in sight. Thanks for the tip

@mic
thanks for the tip, ill have to chekc that out
New Users, Read This
steam
metulburr

Return to Bar