My Python community website

My Python community website

Postby TheMetaphorer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Hello, everyone! I have made a content / community based website dedicated to everything Python! It has subforums for many different topics, including tutorials if you don't know ANYTHING about , and you can even share your python packages on the site with other users. I suggest you check it out, and share it with your friends! Thank you. The link is https://pyhub.co
Last edited by TheMetaphorer on Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheMetaphorer

Re: My Python community website

Postby ichabod801 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:25 pm

I think there's something missing from your post.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
ichabod801

Postby TheMetaphorer » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:44 pm

ichabod801 wrote:I think there's something missing from your post.

Oh!!! Silly me :P The link is https://pyhub.co
TheMetaphorer

Postby micseydel » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:49 am

What does Pyhub offer that this forum and PyPI don't? PyPI is the standard source, and it this forum both have critical mass. (They more than us but hey.) I'm all for competition but it comes at a cost so you should really make a clear case :)
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby TheMetaphorer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:48 am

micseydel wrote:What does Pyhub offer that this forum and PyPI don't? PyPI is the standard source, and it this forum both have critical mass. (They more than us but hey.) I'm all for competition but it comes at a cost so you should really make a clear case :)

So, basically what you're trying to say is make it more unique?
TheMetaphorer

Postby micseydel » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:11 am

Not really. I'm saying most people won't switch from something they're familiar with to something similar unless there's something really compelling involved.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

micseydel

Postby metulburr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:00 am

the more communication hubs there are the more communication degrades. There are already tons of python forums, some more prominent than others. If all are fighting with each other, the whole community suffers. The more that get added in, the worse it gets. If there is something lacking that is wanted from the majority, than that is a different story.

So that would lead to...
What is missing from all the current python forums that you have to make another?

When i first started, i looked for what forum had a large database of content. This reason is so i can pawn through it to learn. There would be no need to go to a forum that had 20 users talking to each other, because then i was restricting my learning to just those 20.

Aside from all that, i have been around this loop. With this forum and other communities. No offense, but your forum will be a ghost town. If not, then a small town leading to a ghost town. Im sorry to sound harsh.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby TheMetaphorer » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:05 am

metulburr wrote:

the more communication hubs there are the more communication degrades. There are already tons of python forums, some more prominent than others. If all are fighting with each other, the whole community suffers. The more that get added in, the worse it gets. If there is something lacking that is wanted from the majority, than that is a different story.

So that would lead to...
What is missing from all the current python forums that you have to make another?

When i first started, i looked for what forum had a large database of content. This reason is so i can pawn through it to learn. There would be no need to go to a forum that had 20 users talking to each other, because then i was restricting my learning to just those 20.

Aside from all that, i have been around this loop. With this forum and other communities. No offense, but your forum will be a ghost town. If not, then a small town leading to a ghost town. Im sorry to sound harsh.

I see what you mean, but with the plans I had in store for it, I was hoping it could be more than just a forum. I hope that I can make it into something that would be more than just a place where people talk about python, but a resource for python as well.
TheMetaphorer

Postby metulburr » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:30 am

what do you mean by resource? Because python has its official website with good documentation. The communication hub spawns from IRC, mailing lists, google groups, reddit, etc. All 3rd party libs for python has their own site with documentation and network of communication. I dont really see where your site has much to offer?
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby Ofnuts » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:28 pm

metulburr wrote:

So that would lead to...

Not so sure... It takes time and dedication to get some traction, but a forum can flourish despite other popular forums on the same topic (which doesn't mean it always happen of course :)). And besides competition(*), it also ensures continuity. Forums do experience outages and even die... It is nice to have another forum available then.

(*) competition has its good sides, forums without competition tend to turn into small dictatorships(**).
(**) present company excepted of course :)
This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Return to Bar