a silly question?

a silly question?

Postby starchief » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:49 pm

When they first invented the vacuum tube or whatever, how did they figure out how to make their circuits produce shapes such as the English language?
starchief

Re: a silly question?

Postby Larz60+ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Hello,

English Language Shapes? By shapes, do you mean fonts?

Larz60+
Larz60+

Postby starchief » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:12 pm

Yes, fonts, so I'm thinking, you initially get at dot on a grid, and from there everything else is mathematically calculated once the position is known? Not really a Python question, but so they just use their bootstrap binary programming and build up as they go, and from the machine level on to the modern high level languages develops.
starchief

Postby dietrich41 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:18 am

When you say vacuum tube, do you mean a picture tube where an electron beam draws a letter by connecting dots?
dietrich41

Postby starchief » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:55 am

Yes, thank you for pointing that out, I guess that would be a cathode ray tube.
starchief

Postby Ofnuts » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:13 am

This forum has been moved to http://python-forum.io/. See you there.
Ofnuts

Location: Paris, France, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe #32987440940987

Postby Larz60+ » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:04 am

Hello,

The very first electronics graphic machine which had character display was introduced in 1967 see http://ethw.org/First-Hand:Inventing_the_Vidifont:_the_first_electronics_graphics_machine_used_in_television_production#Prior_art_in_character_generators

Most systems still used impact printers,
on the low end, there were the Teletype Model 33 ASR which was mainly used for telex (communications over the phone).
They were very slow, 33 baud (thus the name) and usually punched paper tape so that the message could be reproduced.
The idea originated from the wall street ticket tapes.

On the high end, there were high speed impact printers called line printers that used a drum rotating at a very high speed. The
drum had the characters engraved on a diagonal, and a timing wheel that triggered 132 hammers which fired at exactly the
right time so that one line of 132 characters was printed per revolution of the drum
see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_printer

The first video 'Terminal' (out of the box) that I ever used was introduced by DEC (Digital Equipment Corporation of Maynard Massachusetts) in 1978,
and came with two character sets 1 for normal characters, and another so that simple graphics like forms could be displayed. I used other very
crude one prior to that (see below)).

A character was made up of a matrix, typically 9 x 7 pixels. see https://damieng.com/blog/2011/02/20/typography-in-8-bits-system-fonts
There were others by DEC before the VT-100, including the VT-05 which was introduced in 1970.

In the mid 70's, I was building small Intel 8080 computer systems where we created our own character sets in software.
(You can see my terminal on page 36 of https://archive.org/details/kilobaudmagazine-1978-02.) I was just 35 back then, and
heavily involved in micros.

The demand was so great, that the science evolved very rapidly, and soon computers were shipped with monitors and computer all in one.
MITS Altair, Imsai 8080, and others.

Hope that gives you a little history.

Larz60+
Larz60+

Postby starchief » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Thanks for the response, I want to look that stuff up sooner or later, right now I'm still learning the basics, (yes, I'm that slow, work, wife and all (violin solo)) I got the Learning Python edition 5, the bible I call it, 1417 pages, the book called for me to 'from formats import commas, money' but these modules not in my versions of Python 2.7.11, 3.4.3, 3.5.1 as far as I'm concerned thats enough versions for me, so it said those modules are in older versions, so I tried to download a couple with no luck, so I'm just skipping the commas thing so far looks like I can live without it, I sent a message to the author yesterday, maybe he get back to me, maybe not. I get the concepts of programming, but learning the syntax is a matter of repetition, like knowing what brackets to use when and where. Making modules and saving them and calling them up in a main program.
starchief

Return to Bar