A little perspective

A little perspective

Postby Mekire » Mon May 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Sometimes I think that this forum moves a tad slow; I know others have commented that at times it is a bit dead. But it seems that at least proportionally this isn't remotely true.

The Devshed python section has 31,100 posts. The oldest post is from November 1999. That is an average of about 2400 posts a year.

The Dream.In.Code python forum has 11,000 posts with the oldest dating back to January 2006. An approximate average of 1500 posts a year.

We on the other hand, have been up since February. We have 2600 posts. If we maintain this speed our average is over 10,000 posts a year. That makes this not just the most frequented python forum, but the most frequented python forum by an enormous margin.

And all this without the original archive.

-Mek
Mekire

Re: A little perspective

Postby micseydel » Mon May 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks Mekire! =D
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
micseydel

Postby metulburr » Mon May 13, 2013 9:44 pm

awesome, i did not realize that.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby Kebap » Mon May 13, 2013 11:46 pm

Yeah thanks for the statistics! :mrgreen: Also nice sites you mentioned, which I didn't even know. Little me, still got lots of learning to do in my python time :D Now before we get too proud, maybe take another look at some details

Devshed seems to offer many things, tutorials, etc, one of them a python forum, which isn't even linked to from their main website menu. I can understand then if activity in this sub-forum is maybe not very high.

Dream.In.Code again has a rich website with a prominent forum. For the python sub-forum then, you have to scroll down approx. 23 other sub-forums for other languages, general discussions and site questions.

Now on this forum, there is only the python-forum. Nothing else to see much. Especially with our database vacant. We are just this python-forum with lots sub-forums for individual topics.

I got another comparison with a very similar format like our site. It is the German [url]python-forum.de[/url] which stems from 2003. It now contains 235083 posts, for an estimated average of 23500 posts a year. Seems like we still have lots of room to grow! :ugeek: This site also features a community wiki, etc. Amongst other forum discussions I see there regular info about local python groups, conventions, even associations to make python more publicly known, taught at schools, etc. Maybe this is easier if user base is so concentrated in Central Europe.

Come on, let's compare some more stuff.

From mid 2005 comes Reddit and its sub-site /r/python has about 15000 posts now (not counting /r/learnpython, /r/django, etc.) Having this community for 5 years, these are about 3000 per year.

Stackoverflow started in late 2008 and currently lists 187,424 questions tagged "python". This calculates as roughly 37000 questions a year!

While we are probably not "most frequented python forum by an enormous margin", we still hold a firm top position, even when compared with these bigger broad-interest sites. Where else is python discussed these days?
Last edited by Kebap on Tue May 14, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Learn: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and chat with uns directly!
Kebap

Postby Mekire » Tue May 14, 2013 3:22 am

A lot of python activity still seems to happen via mailing lists which I have never understood. Seems a tad archaic. And yeah, the other sites I mentioned are concerned with many programming languages, not just one, but I think this is a benefit to us, not a detriment. We are an exclusive site where all different levels and subjects of the language can be discussed.

Anyway, the point is that considering the downtime, the community here is thriving extremely well :D.

-Mek
Mekire

Return to Bar