New Users Introduce Yourself

Re: New Users Introduce Yourself

Postby Mekire » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:57 am

ksalasas wrote:Hi, i made my first post and i inform the moderators to IRC but still nothing appears ,usually how long time this process take?

Replies tend to take us longer to notice than new posts.
You are approved now.

Note however that I dissapproved your other post as it really didn't help clarify the user's problem and the user themself has yet to reply to anyone else.
New Users, Read This
  • Use code tags when posting code.
  • Include any errors with your post (in code tags).
  • Describe your problem; not your chosen solution.
  • Make examples the minimum length to demonstrate your issue.
Mekire

Postby metulburr » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:27 am

ksalasas wrote:Hi, i made my first post and i inform the moderators to IRC but still nothing appears ,usually how long time this process take?

Replies tend to take us longer to notice than new posts.
You are approved now.

Note however that I dissapproved your other post as it really didn't help clarify the user's problem and the user themself has yet to reply to anyone else.

Also if you jump into an IRC chat where many of us reside, put our names in the message, it will usually give a notification by change of color, that we respond to also.
we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1 2016
more details here
metulburr

Postby vertigo448 » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:23 pm

Hello, every one. I’m new to the forum also quit new to the python I started learning it for test automation purposes.
Glad to be here, hope I can learn here a lot.
Cheers.
Last edited by micseydel on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First-ish post lock.
vertigo448

Postby kenny » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Hi everyone,
My name is Kenny. This is my second time trying to learn python. I gave it up a year ago due to the feeling of helplessness and I now think it may due to two reasons:
    1. I did not know the importance of living in a forum
    2. I found documentations are unfriendly to read for newbies and couldn't get help from reading them
As a result, I found myself going nowhere in python.

Now I found this forum and I will try my best to dwell here.

I just began to pick python up again with anaconda and a course on Udemy, and the question on top of everything at the moment is how should I make the most out of reading documentations? When I say I found documentations are unfriendly to newbies, I mean:

1. I don't understand the explanation in the docs much
    2. The examples provided in documentations are not very instructive on explaining what the function is intended to do

I wish there is a specific guide on how to learn to use documentations, how to work around it when finding documentation incomprehensible or examples are not helping, how should I ask for help when I could not make any use of documentations. Could anyone help here?

Thank you very much!

Kenny
Last edited by Mekire on Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock. Tradition.
kenny

Postby alejandro_muro » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:53 am

Hello, I'm new to this forum.
I'm looking to learn the tricks of the trade in Python programing.
I come up with projects and try to solve them by programing. Hours more hours less, i come to the solution.
I feel there is a component to learning never mentioned that is the comunity.
A comunity is an exelent place to learn and socialize.
So far I've explored Object oriented Programing, SQLite, some scipy, matplotlib, not extensively but for certain projects.
I'm looking forward learning GUI and web, started practicing with QT library for a project for my girlfriend (she is the best).
I like the activity of programing and I do it in my oun time.
I like using the same solution for a family of problems over and over.
Also like the power of procesing large amounds of information like in databases.
Looking forward to learning and having a good time.
Till we meet
Last edited by micseydel on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.
alejandro_muro

Postby eridlpy15 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:27 am

Hello everybody.

My name is Daniel and I am brand new to this forum.

I wanted to learn programming earlier this year when I realized how much of our day-to-day tasks are reliant on technology and how I knew absolutely nothing about CS/programming.

Based on the results of Googling "which programming language should a beginner learn?", I decided to try my hand at Python.

I've been reading the "Python Programming: An Introduction To Computer Science 2nd edition" book by John Zelle on and off for the past several months in my spare time.

It's been challenging and I am HORRIBLE at all this.
But it is incredibly fascinating that you can make a machine do what you want if you can find the right way to write up the program.

Right now, my goal is to develop an Android game app.
I know it's a steep climb as I will have to learn Java, JavaScript, and Android SDK among other things when I can find the time.
But I hope to get the ball rolling by learning Python and learning from this forum. I probably will learn something here as my skills are absolute garbage.
Last edited by micseydel on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eridlpy15

Postby dslippy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 am

Just wanting to say hello.
I was a programmer for a short period very many years ago - 1973, and find myself now in need of some programming for which python appears to be the best context.

I run a database in Access 2000. I want to transfer it and all the procedures I use to an opensource environment where eventually it can be more easily shared.

Here's hoping you will not mind a few (or more) dumb questions.
Last edited by micseydel on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dslippy

Postby jaspreetsinghrawel » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Hi All

I am Jaspreet from India.
I am an Engineer proficient in python.

My hobbies include running, table tennis, photography, travelling.

I would love to share my python knowledge in this forum having an experience of about 5 years working in python with an American company.

Thanks
Last edited by micseydel on Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jaspreetsinghrawel

Postby senaps » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:18 am

hi....
my name is maysam and am from Iran....
i'm 23 and married... :shock:

i Love programming but im not a programmer...
started to learn python like 6-7 year's ago but never really tried it! now i'm back and im learning so fast...

have a bad, really bad English writing and talking skill's but i understand it really good....
hope this is a good place for me to learn more python and English...
senaps

Postby dominique28130 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Hi

Let me introduce myself. I am 51, French. I have 3 children and a nice wife. I am currently a computer analyst and like to practice sport ( riding bicycle ).

I started to use Linux at home because I was curious and wanted to test it. Now I am convince it is a good OS, I would like to learn a programming language that I can use on Linux. As Python seems to be a good one, I,would like to learn it. I used VBA for years from time to time when I need to save time on repetitive tasks.

As now you understand that I am French and leave in France, I hope you will accept that my English is not perfect.

best regards

Dominique
Last edited by micseydel on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
dominique28130

Postby Larz60+ » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:23 pm

Hello,

Wrong place to post this question. I would suggest General Discussions. However, Linux supports a plethora of programming Languages, many are probably already installed on your system
You may also want to visit the tutorials thread.

Larz60+
Larz60+

Postby Weezar » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Hi! :mrgreen:

My name's Dave, Portuguese living in the UK working in customer services (non IT/programming related).
Learnt very basic C back in Uni a few years back, I know some HMTL and some CSS.

I decided I wanted to learn a programming language a few days ago, Python was the choice, I've been doing exercises from "Learn Python the Hard Way" free training once per day after work.
One of my first goals is to create a program that'll will allow me/us at work to manage our queues and eliminate the need for paper slips (waste of paper / money), will also need to have some stats tracking functionality and multi-user/networking.
Wish me luck! :)
Last edited by micseydel on Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Initial post lock.
Weezar

Postby Manganus » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi!

Once upon a time, in the mid 1990s, I was enticed by Python.
But life and career ambitions made me prioritize other stuff.

Then my day job no longer required me to write any scripts or programs. During the following 20 years I didn't code anything else than SQL.
Now, as retired, I've returned to some down-prioritized projects, ...as for instance to Python.

Another of those down-prioritized projects was the step from Procedural programming (in my case: C and before that some Fortran and Cobol) to class-based object-oriented programming - learning old dogs new tricks isn't always so easy.

I've used the handle Manganus for a long time. And very few others seem to use it. Hence I carry on. ;)
(My work life, if someone wonders, was spent in Scandinavia and Germany.)
Last edited by stranac on Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Manganus

Postby Wirral » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi everyone :P

I'm Chris, resident in Wirral, UK.

I worked in IT for an insurance company before getting an early retirement. IBM mainframe (Mark IV and Cobol) for many years, then Visual Basic. The more interesting technologies were denied to us old codgers so I've been teaching myself Javascript, ASP.NET and other languages in my retirement.

Impetus for learning Python was one of my boys buying a Raspberry Pi. I started off with Mike Summerfield's book (Programming in Python 3) but found it a bit advanced, so bought Mike McGrath's Python in Easy Steps, which is much friendlier. My intention is to go back to Mike Summerfield when I've finished Mike McGrath.
Last edited by micseydel on Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Initial post lock.
Wirral

Postby mstevens » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:15 pm

Hello, my name is Matthew Stevens, I am 30 years old, I have a wife of 6 years and 2 beautiful daughters.

I am currently studying for my bachelors in Cyber Security, and python programming is a required class.

I also work in the access management field for a large organization who wants me to learn to program numerous languages, including python, C# and AutoIT.

I look forward to being a part of this community, thank you for having me.
mstevens

Postby Tfloats » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Aloha everyone, my name is Taylor - however my friends refer to me as T.

I've been living and breathing for 24 years, with much of that time just exploring what life is and means to myself personally. I have been travelling the last 2 years that had started to open my eyes to the large world we inhabit. I haven't had much of what you might call a 'professional' life style, or held many traditional jobs nor have I explored career options for myself up until recently while my travels are on hold.

I gained an interest in learning a programming language about 1.5 years ago while I was high in entrepreneurial spirit and decided it would be great to be able to code up any apps, websites, or games I had an idea for. I found and bought "Learn Python The Hard Way" by Zed Shaw, and then stashed it on my laptop never to be read until about 1 month ago, I was right in the thick of my travels you see :)

Anyways, so I'm a little over half way through the ebook and am right in the middle of learning about dictionaries, actually I've been continually learning about them before moving on to the next section. It's been very interesting this far seeing how language is structured and I suspect my interest will grow with the more I learn.

For me, learning python is not in the entrepreneurial spirit I had originally intended on, but more about it being something that I can continually learn new things about that I find interesting - in which I can also apply to other aspects of life; and as a bonus of some day being paid for my abilities no matter where I am in the world.

I sought out this community to help me along the way, mostly due to learning having a high social function - I can relate to, bounce ideas around, help others, etc. All here on this forum. As I said earlier, I'm a little over half way through "Learn python the hard way" and it has been a good solo venture so far but I've had 0 people to interact with on the subject as certainly in my immediate life there is no other person learning or that knows any programming language.

Kind of a long post, but thanks for your time- and I'm excited to be joining the community. :)
Last edited by stranac on Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tfloats

Postby Rhodry » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:45 pm

Hello everyone, Python newbie here relatively speaking :) I'm Jason, 29 years old and I've been trying to dust off the old programming skills. I was a computer science major for a year in College and, at the time, thought it was too difficult so I changed majors to biology and ended up graduating in a degree in that field. However, I'm finding myself drawn back in towards programming after doing a bit of amateur coding on the side. I used to play MUDS quite frequently, specifically one called Achaea, that required a bit of programming knowledge to do much of anything in the game world. (For those of you who are not familiar with MUDS, they are text based games that have many users connected simultaneously.) I think I have a strong foundation to start learning some higher level programming and have been taking Python courses online (Specifically, Codecademy's free python course, though I'm thinking of also buying a membership to try some of the projects and other content they may have, and CodingBat's practice Python problems.)

I used to know a little bit of C++ but that has largely faded from lack of use. I'm also slightly familiar with perl regex but Python seems like an interesting language for it's straightforward syntax that is very similar to psuedo code and I'm excited to learn more about it's functionality. I'm still at the stage where I can only solve small problems, but hope to get to the point where I could develop larger applications and maybe even take it up professionally. I'm based out of the Santa Cruz area in Central California.
Rhodry

Postby micseydel » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:53 pm

Rhodry wrote:I'm based out of the Santa Cruz area in Central California.

Hello almost-neighbor! I'm in Mountain View. By the way, in my experience Santa Cruz folks say "hella" so I'm pretty sure you all are northern California, not central =p
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1, 2016.

This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
micseydel

Postby Deadcowboy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Hello Everyone ,

My name is John , I am 46 years old and live in RI.
I have always wanted to learn how to program , learning how computer programming worked had fascinated me for a while , but I never got around to it .
Back in 1987 I took an Intro to computers course in college and it was painful to say the least , I don't even know what language I was learning , but that was a lifetime ago.
I have been having a lot of fun with Python , I am taking it slow and trying to learn one step at a time.

I am liking the process !!
Deadcowboy

Postby Iris » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Hee phpBB members,

My name is Iris, I'm 22 years old. I'm in the final year of my bachelors Biomedical Sciences, after which I hope te continue with my Masters Cancer, Stemcells & Developmental Biology. In my future field of work I will undoubtebly encounter Bioinformatics.
I don't think my brain will allow me to become very good at programming, but I still believe I would benefit from learning as much as I can.
Therefore I am trying to teach myself the basics of Python using codeacademy and Bioinformatics for Beginners‏ on coursera.

I am truly awful at any subject close to anything technological, so please be easy on me when I ask stupid questions ^^

Greetings,
Iris
Iris

PreviousNext

Return to Bar