New Users Introduce Yourself

Re: New Users Introduce Yourself

Postby sparkz_alot » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:13 pm

Iris wrote:Hee phpBB members,

My name is Iris, I'm 22 years old. I'm in the final year of my bachelors Biomedical Sciences, after which I hope te continue with my Masters Cancer, Stemcells & Developmental Biology. In my future field of work I will undoubtebly encounter Bioinformatics.
I don't think my brain will allow me to become very good at programming, but I still believe I would benefit from learning as much as I can.
Therefore I am trying to teach myself the basics of Python using codeacademy and Bioinformatics for Beginners‏ on coursera.

I am truly awful at any subject close to anything technological, so please be easy on me when I ask stupid questions ^^

Greetings,
Iris

Hello Iris and welcome to Python :-)

Here is a link you might find useful (free IT pdf books on Python and Bioinformatics) : http://www.it-ebooks.info/search/?q=Bio ... type=title

Have fun
THIS FORUM WILL BE CLOSING OCT 1, 2016. PLEASE STOP BY AND REGISTER AT THE NEW LOCATION
http://python-forum.io
sparkz_alot

Postby kingtermite » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:35 pm

Hello. I'm kingtermite.

I've been a software developer for many years, but truly prefer scripting. I just recently decided to learn Python through a Coursera 4-course series and LOVE the language. It's exactly what I always thought it would be. It's Perl without all the horrible syntax and culture of purposely writing code to be unreadable because you think it's cool.

I'm looking forward to possibly even changing teams at work and working with a group that does a lot of Python.
kingtermite

Postby ichabod801 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:58 am

kingtermite wrote:It's Perl without all the horrible syntax and culture of purposely writing code to be unreadable because you think it's cool.

:lol:

Welcome, kingtermite.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
ichabod801

Postby lollix01 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Howdy, strangers!
This is the presentation thread, I guess. So...
I'm lollix01, I'm from europe and I'm a Python beginner.
When I were a child (just a few years), I Learnt html thanks to my father, he also told me about GNU/Linux distributions. I installed first fedora, then Debian soon Gentoo, after that Slackware and loads of other distributions. Now I'm using Debian. I heard about Python by my brother. I'm following some tutorials.

So.. I don't know what to say, cause I'm too lazy.
Greetings, I guess
Last edited by stranac on Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock.
lollix01

Postby eddiegregs » Thu May 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Hey I'm Eddie, new to programming in general. Thanks for having me. I'm sure I'll be asking an annoying amount of questions
Last edited by micseydel on Mon May 23, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Initial post(s) lock.
eddiegregs

Postby nglgzz » Sat May 28, 2016 8:20 pm

Greetings everyone,

I'm nglgzz, I'm 18 and based in Europe. I started using Python last year because I needed it for a course on AI programming, a part that I know Java, PHP (<- annoying) and some other languages. At the moment I'm learning about data analysis, machine learning and all the awesome stuff that goes with it.

Also Python is my favourite programming language because it forces you (and the people you work with) to indent properly and when you code with it you don't have to bother about low level stuff (yey, no segmentation faults) so you can completely focus on the program itself which is the funniest part about coding I think.
Last edited by Yoriz on Sun May 29, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nglgzz

Postby DarrellB » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Hi. I am Darrell, aka Doc aka Daz and if you see me in class I use a number of looney tunes handles.

I am a 52 year student getting his MS in CIS and taking a python course and having a hell of a time as the last time I did any real coding (and even then it was just for fun) was back in the days of Pascal and Foxbase (try the early 90s). But I decided it was time for a life change and as I have always liked working with computers I figured try it again.

Hopefully my questions will not be too stupid. :D

D
Last edited by Yoriz on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DarrellB

Postby chupo_cro » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I am an old 'new' user. I've had an account here on the forums since May 21st, 2012 - however I did not log in for quite a while. A few days ago I wanted to login and was surprised finding out my acc didn't exist. Only now I've found an old email saying:

Hello
on 20 Oct 2012 the server which hosts python forums will be turned off.

So I guess this is now the new forum but the URL remained the same.

I have Python 2.6.2 installed on my PC since 2009. and Python 3.2.2 + VPython 5.74 since 2012. but I didn't use it very often. Now I decided to take more seriously approach to learning Python so I installed 2.7.11 along with these older versions.

Since I design embedded electronic devices I am mostly programming in C and assembly but can deal with quite a few higher languages and I hope Python is going to become one of my favourite programming languages.
Last edited by stranac on Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chupo_cro
chupo_cro

Postby curiousPaws » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:38 pm

Hello guys! I am a graduating computer science student and happy to study Python by myself now. Maybe my course is the one that pushed me to continue and adapt in this field from my caveman version. Happy to be a computer nerd now. Even when people I tell that I am a programmer and soon to have it as a job, they really didn't expect me to be here and stay. But I did and I am happy. Finally conquered my fear in computers when I was a child, thought that the CPU during my grade school hands-on test will be eating the flash disk. 8-) In my first year, I knew how easy it was to burn in a CD. :cry: :lol: 8-)

Woo, that was some progress!! Haha, I just realized that studying a language, by making an app by using it, will open up your mind on how abstract things come to visible work, and there are more than those written in the book. Happy to read others' questions, tutorials, blogs, and posting questions to know many possibilities behind the thought impossibilities. Oh yeah! Soon to be studying how to make apps with other languages too. Python for now, because it is straightforward, and liking it even most of the times I really don't understand (but ye should know sometime). :) :o :lol:
Last edited by micseydel on Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Initial post lock.
curiousPaws

Postby wrx124 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:52 pm

Hello guys, I finished my school a long time ago and I always wanted to learn Python in school but there weren't any classes about programming at all.
Now I'm attending one online course and I'm happy to find this forum.

Thank you
Last edited by micseydel on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wrx124

Postby Duplo89 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:38 am

Hey guys, I've just turned 27 and I am passionate about programming!

I am learning Python in my own time with the view of getting a junior developer job.

I am happy to find this forum.
Last edited by micseydel on Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duplo89

Postby JCRoach » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi, My name is Jesse. I am currently a Engineering technology student. I am looking to explore more into the coding side of electronics. I am a very new to coding in python and coding in general. I look forward to working with this community and improving my knowledge in python.
JCRoach

Postby nilamo » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:03 pm

Hello.

I'm an old member here. So old, I didn't even have an account. It looks like the forum was recent a while ago. Luckily, my username was still available :p

If you look at the list of members sorted by the number of posts descending (ie, this: memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist), I used to be in the top 10 posters. Looks like I've got a little bit of work ahead of me to get back there.

Anyway, I'm a professional developer. Got a degree for it, and everything. During the day job, I use mostly C# and sql/html/css/javascript. Python is my love, though. It's more or less the best language.
This forum is shutting down. Future discussion should take place at http://python-forum.io
nilamo

Postby Astrofra » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:22 pm

Hi,

my name is François, usually known as 'Astrofra' in various communities (demoscene, TigSource...).
I fell in love with Python a couple of years ago, while writing the script that maintains the Emucamp website.
Now I'm working with a team of developers on a Python module to bring 3D, VR, Physics... to the Python community.
Besides, on my spare time, I do mostly some retro stuff, like coding demos for the Amiga computer or the Sega Genesis game system. Python is again a great help, to massage & prepare data before they are being processed by the Amiga/Genesis 68000 CPU (blast processing!)

That's almost all...
My various production can be found here, otherwise : http://fra.planet-d.net
Last edited by micseydel on Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Astrofra

Postby nilamo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:18 pm

Hello.

I'm an old member here. So old, I don't have an account (looks like the db was reset). If you looked at the member's list sorted descending by post count, I used to be in the top 10 (ie: memberlist.php?mode=&sk=d&sd=d#memberlist). So it looks like I've got a little work ahead of me.

Anyway, I've been a professional developer for roughly 11 years, and currently work with C#/SQL/php/html/css/javascript. During my free time, I python it out, in addition to learning more and different languages. Right now, I'm finally starting to get into c++, specifically with regards to the Unreal Engine, so I can start making a couple of my ideas a reality.

But, I like helping people out, and python is more or less the best language there is, so here I am.
Remember boys and girls, function calls are expensive, tail call recursion is very bad in python, and trampolines will save the day when you least expect it. Also, comprehensions are the best.

**edit: I use the word "finally" far too much.
This forum is shutting down. Future discussion should take place at http://python-forum.io
nilamo

Postby ichabod801 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:26 pm

nilamo wrote:I'm an old member here. So old, I don't have an account

I did wonder when I saw this: "What is nilamo doing posting in new users?" Welcome back.
Due to the reasons discussed here we will be moving to python-forum.io on October 1st, 2016.
This forum will be locked down and no one will be able to post/edit/create threads, etc. here from thereafter. Please create an account at the new site to continue discussion.
ichabod801

Postby nilamo » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:32 pm

Neat! It's cool that we're not sharing a domain with a php forum anymore, lol
nilamo

Postby razlem » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:26 am

Hi! My name's Ben, I'm doing my MA in Linguistics and decided to start with Python as my first programming language :)

I'm super excited, but I've already hit a snag. I can' figure out how to run a script on Mac OSX sooooo..... here I am >.> Any help (or direction towards some good Mac Python tutorials) would be super :mrgreen:

First post lock, ichabod801, 7/31/16
razlem

Postby ichabod801 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:09 pm

Hey Ben, welcome to the forums. People don't look for questions in this forum, especially in this thread. Your best bet is to repost your question in General Discussions or General Coding Help. Also, telling us what exactly you've tried so far will help us answer your questions better.
ichabod801

Postby codeadict » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:14 pm

Hello!
I LOVE Python. I use it for school, for fun, and if possible for work (what little i do these days ;) )

About myself, soon i'll finish school and get my master's, my programming journey began in high school, with VB6, then C & C++ in the university, then dabbled a little bit in java and C#, didn't particularly like them. had some web-dev courses so learned PHP, i liked it okay but still something was missing (like being multi-purpose ) . and then on my senior year, behold: I met Python !!! it's everything i'm looking for in a programming language :lol: ;)
its clean, multi-purpose, and knowing low-level Assembly and C gave me additional insight on what a masterpiece it is as a high-level, "multi-everything" language.

anyways here i am, 3 years later, and still coding happily :D

P.S:
sometimes i get too "direct" (a.k.a "rude") in the heat of discussion, so just to be safe, i put this here for future use ...
Code: Select all
from apologies import *

(i know, i know, bad practice to use *)
Last edited by Mekire on Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: First post lock. Tradition.
codeadict

PreviousNext

Return to Bar