DC Central Kitchen vs. The 700 Club

DC Central Kitchen vs. The 700 Club

Postby ichabod801 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Like metulburr, I am trying to make a change in my life; if not one as momentous as quitting smoking. I'm trying to get up on time. I tend to lie in bed for an hour or more after my alarm goes off. This exacerbates my chronic depression both directly and indirectly. To help me get up on time I am going to use a commitment device: every day I get up on time I will give $15 to a charity I like, and every day I don't get up on time I will give $15 to a charity I can't stand.

For the first month, the charity I like is DC Central Kitchen. This is a kitchen in Washington DC that gives food to the homeless. They then use their kitchen to train homeless people to be chefs so they can get a job, and run a catering business to give homeless people work experience. I'm not sure why, but I have a soft spot in my heart for homeless charities, and DC Central Kitchen is the best one I've ever heard of.

The charity I can't stand will be the 700 Club, the television show run by Jerry Falwell. Falwell's opposition to civil rights, gay rights, and any religion that isn't his are messages I cannot condone, and certainly don't want to help spread.

It may seem odd to mention all this on a programming forum, but I have to mention it in public somewhere for it to really have meaning to me. So I'm mentioning it here and at work.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
Minimalist, buddhist, theist, and programmer
Current languages: Python, SAS, and C++
Previous serious languages: R, Java, VBA, Lisp, HyperTalk, BASIC
ichabod801

Re: DC Central Kitchen vs. The 700 Club

Postby Yoriz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:45 pm

To ensure you getup and give to the charity you like.
Get the loudest alarm you can get and place it the furthest away in the room from where you sleep so you have to get up to shut the f'ker up.
New Users, Read This
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!
Spam topic disapproval technician
Windows7, Python 2.7.4., WxPython 2.9.5.0., some Python 3.3
Yoriz

Postby ichabod801 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:22 pm

Yoriz wrote:Get the loudest alarm you can get and place it the furthest away in the room from where you sleep so you have to get up to shut the f'ker up.

I'm doing this funky charity thing because I've tried that and it doesn't work. I just get up, turn off the alarm, and walk right back into bed. :(
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
ichabod801

Postby micseydel » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:27 pm

This seems neat. I'm equally annoyed with entities which accept money to spread hate, I might have to use this eventually... thanks for sharing! I certainly think it's Bar-worthy.
Join the #python-forum IRC channel on irc.freenode.net!

Please do not PM members regarding questions which are meant to be discussed publicly. The point of the forum is so that others can benefit from it. We don't want to help you over PMs or emails.
micseydel

Postby setrofim » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:46 am

I am no stranger to sleep disorder and depression myself, and can sympathize. Best of luck with making this change, ichabod801! You might find this article interesting. It is a bit long (and they keep pushing their speed learning software) but it is the best explanation of how sleep works, what can go wrong, and how to get back on track that I found online (and I've looked).
setrofim

Postby jogl8 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Have you read Steven Covey's Seven Habits of Highly Effective People? I laughed when, many years ago, it was suggested that I could benefit from it.

But I bought a copy and read (most) of it. I still whip it out when I realize that I'm slipping (frequently).

It really helps me with self discipline. And with working with other people.

JP.
jogl8

Postby StormJedi » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:14 am

I know there is a clock that has 4 puzzle pieces on top.
When the alarm goes off, the pieces shoot up into the air, and the clock will not go off till the pieces are back in.
This may work assuming you don't:
1. unplug it
2. smash it
3. go to another room
4. ignore it

Ah well, my $0.02 USD.
Python 2.7
Python 3.3
Windows 7 x64
Ubuntu 12.10 x64
One day I hope to use one OS and 1 Python flavor, until that day, life goes on.
StormJedi

Postby pydsigner » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:26 am

Seeing as he can walk all the way through the house and then back into bed... a mere 4 piece puzzle probably won't cut it :P
Desktop: Linux Mint 16, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2.4GHz Xeon
Laptop: Win8.1, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 1.6GHz 4th gen i5
Python: 2.7.4

For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved! (John 3:17)
pydsigner

Postby ichabod801 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:34 pm

So far so good. The tally is DC Central Kitchen $135, 700 Club $0. I even got up on time on Saturday and Sunday (I set the alarm an hour later each day, but that still meant getting up at 7:00 both days last weekend. I'm normally lucky if I can get up by 9:00 on the weekends).
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
ichabod801

Postby KevinD » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:22 pm

That's an interesting approach, but this bit of information might change your decision about which charities to support.

The 700 Club is actually hosted by Pat Robertson, not Jerry Falwell. The basic message of hate, however, is essentially the same.

Jerry Falwell founded the Moral Majority, but he's been dead for nearly 6 years.Of course, we all know that the Moral Majority is neither.
Quanto lignum posset materiae materietur marmota Chuck si materiam possit materiari foedans, penitus lignum?
KevinD

Postby ichabod801 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:05 pm

I was looking up Jerry Falwell because my original thought was Liberty University, and I saw Jerry's bit on the 700 Club about how gays (and the pro-choicers and the feminists) caused 9/11. That's how I associated him with it. But your right about it being Pat Robertson's show, not Jerry Falwell's.

One of my co-workers said I should have used Westboro Baptist Church, and they are a truly more evil target. But I plan on switching the donors every month, so they can be the evil side later.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien
ichabod801

Postby pydsigner » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Linking homosexuality with 9/11?! That's a pretty sorry joke. I don't condone homosexuality, but... seriously. :roll:
Desktop: Linux Mint 16, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD, 2.4GHz Xeon
Laptop: Win8.1, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, 1.6GHz 4th gen i5
Python: 2.7.4

For God sent not His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved! (John 3:17)
pydsigner

Return to Bar