3D or 2D?

3D or 2D?

Postby Reichen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:59 am

For a few months I've been developing my dream game in my spare time - I'm sure those of you like me who learned programming to get into game development know what I'm talking about. That game idea that's always sat in the back of your mind, nagging at you to make it. Anyway, I've finally gotten a good start on it, but I've reached a point where I cannot get much farther without committing to a graphics design. So I'm faced with a difficult question: 3D or 2D?

You see, I wanted to create something based on world interactivity instead of awe-inspiring graphics or gory combat systems. I wanted it to be lightweight, so that users wouldn't have to worry about performance issues or the like. So far, I've built it from the ground up as a top-down 2D game. But I'm concerned over how it would be received, since the gaming community can be anal about having high-resolution, 3D models in every game they play. Not to mention, the Last of Us has recently reminded me of the extra immersion such graphics can offer. Yet to achieve such graphics, I would have to use external libraries other than default python (and I abhor not understanding the methods I invoke) and spend many more hours modelling, texturing, and designing a 3D world, a huge task for a single developer.

So I'm faced with a dilemma, over whether or not to switch to 3D. Thoughts?
Reichen

Re: 3D or 2D?

Postby metulburr » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:24 am

I would have to use external libraries other than default python (and I abhor not understanding the methods I invoke) and spend many more hours modelling, texturing, and designing a 3D world, a huge task for a single developer.

If it is your dream game, i wouldnt worry about such tasks. If you want 3d go 3d.

You see, I wanted to create something based on world interactivity instead of awe-inspiring graphics or gory combat systems. I wanted it to be lightweight, so that users wouldn't have to worry about performance issues or the like. So far, I've built it from the ground up as a top-down 2D game. But I'm concerned over how it would be received, since the gaming community can be anal about having high-resolution, 3D models in every game they play. Not to mention, the Last of Us has recently reminded me of the extra immersion such graphics can offer.

There is nothing wrong with 2d graphics. Not every one cares about high end resolution and 3d. Now-a-days everyone is so hip on resolution, that they plan so much on 3d/resolution and the time it takes to work on it, that they forget to work on game content. Game content is more important than what it looks like. . I have pawned off 90% of new games within the past few years because of this. Take the COD series for example. Their single player has swindled down to something like 5-8 hours to beat. The multiplayer is pretty much the same as it was the last 4 games. A little here a little there added, but nothing significant. At this point i got so sick of call of duty, they couldnt even pay me to play it. I havent bought one since black ops 1, and pawned it within the first 3 days after being bored of it. A lot of games are like this now-a-days. So worried about what it looks like, or in COD's case, bringing up the next one for christmas regardless of it's content.

It doesn't matter what your game looks like (Of course the better 2d look you have the better). As long as it is fun to play and has some originality. If the choice was a crappy, but really good looking 3d game and a crappy looking, but really good 2d game, I would pay 2 times the money to play the 2d game. In fact i do that now.
New Users, Read This
OS Ubuntu 14.04, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Windows 7/8
https://github.com/metulburr
steam
metulburr

Postby Mekire » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:14 am

Reichen wrote:I would have to use external libraries other than default python

For this point, this is true regardless of your decision. Whether 2d or 3d you will be using some 3rd party library, be it pygame, pyglet, pyOpenGL, pyogre. The question here is have you actually written games before, be them 2d or 3d? If this will be your first game then hands down do it in 2d. If you have several 2d games under your belt and are willing to put in the time to learn openGL or similar then give 3d a try. If you do choose 3d you will need to be pretty adept with shaders (if your game is graphically instense) as it will be vital to keep as much of the processing on the GPU as possible.

I have only done minimal amounts of 3d experimentation myself, though I would like to do a proper 3d project at some point.

-Mek
Mekire

Postby Reichen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:46 pm

Mekire wrote:
Reichen wrote:I would have to use external libraries other than default python

For this point, this is true regardless of your decision. Whether 2d or 3d you will be using some 3rd party library, be it pygame, pyglet, pyOpenGL, pyogre. The question here is have you actually written games before, be them 2d or 3d? If this will be your first game then hands down do it in 2d. If you have several 2d games under your belt and are willing to put in the time to learn openGL or similar then give 3d a try. If you do choose 3d you will need to be pretty adept with shaders (if your game is graphically instense) as it will be vital to keep as much of the processing on the GPU as possible.

I have only done minimal amounts of 3d experimentation myself, though I would like to do a proper 3d project at some point.

-Mek

I do in fact have some experience with writing 3D software with OpenGL, my main issue is doing it by myself - as I would normally have someone else sending me fully rigged, shaped, textured, and animated models. I also understand 2D code, as in I know what's going on behind the scenes when I invoke a method or whatnot. With 3D libraries and OpenGL wrappers I feel more like an end user. So it's a tradeoff, and I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it.
Reichen

Return to Game Development